Big Dawg

Comments

• Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    allen101 wrote:
    Those weights!!!!

Wow!

Do you alternate behind the neck press with militry press?
    Haven't done behind the neck presses yet, is that for the posterior deltoid?
    Sorry for the noob question.

Not a n00b q at all bro - all questions are good to learn. Pbn (press behind neck) hits the whole delt, with a little more emphasis on the side & rear delt compared to front press (militarys) bcoz you are forced to keep your elbows out. I can't do bb press to front bcoz I feel pain in the front delt area. I know, seems crazy bcoz typically pbn is the more dangerous culprit. I warmup alot on pbn before going heavy, as you can see. I also let the bar down to mid-ear level - never let it down to the neck or you're asking for trouble. I CAN do front presses on a smith machine without pain, but the gym I go to doesn't have one.
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    I see, I might try that one of these days.

I'm also feeling minor pain on my right front delt, not sure if this has to do with rotator cuff or it's just I have a weak rear delt that can't support the load I'm putting on my front delt during BP and MP since it has not been trained directly for a while.

Any thoughts sir?

Thanks Sir!
    allen101 wrote:
    I see, I might try that one of these days.

I'm also feeling minor pain on my right front delt, not sure if this has to do with rotator cuff or it's just I have a weak rear delt that can't support the load I'm putting on my front delt during BP and MP since it has not been trained directly for a while.

Any thoughts sir?

Thanks Sir!

Well front delts certainly get alot of work from almost any pec work. That's one of the reasons I don't train them directly with isolation movements like front laterals or whateva. Pbn have a bad reputation for causing damage to the rotator cuffs and/or shoulders in general. If done correctly however, I believe they can be safe as militaries. If you have pain, simply avoid anything that causes any pain in that area until it heals up. You should also include some rotator cuff exercises in your warmup - I do that always before any chest or delt exercises. Also include stretching, which helps alot.
    Thanks! Big help
    Took a few days off from the gym bcoz I tweaked something last time I hit back. I think it was the deads but not sure. Have pain in the back of the neck and slight numbness in the left hand and foot - obviously from the sciatic nerve. Been there, done that many times in the past with lumbar injuries. However, this is the first time I've had pain up so high in my neck area shit grrrrr. I did delts & traps 2 days later and think doing shrugs aggrevated it more. Been doing the ice & heat routine past few days and just laying down. Soooo, after taking a few days off I hit chest today. Didn't go quite as heavy as normal, felt the pain when picking up the 100's though...

bb bench press - bar x 50, bar x 30, 130 x 30, 130 x 20, 180 x 15, *220 x 15, *250 x 8
    incline db press - 60's x 15, 80's x 12, *100's x 10, *100's x 8
    flat db flyes - 50's x 15, *60's x 15, *75's x 10

* = worksets

Thats it - would have done dips to finish but feeling the pain. Damn, back in the US I could get some good pain meds like oxycodone or hydrocodone prescribed by the doc, but I hear that Philippines doctors won't write a script for strong pain meds unless someone is almost dying lol. Is that true? These damn Advils aren't doing shit - like eating candy! :p
    Took another 2 days off to rest and ice & heat the neck. Feels maybe 30% better. Can't just keep laying around - goin' crazy. So I hit arms today & played it somewhat safe until this neck pain is gone:

hammer curls - 20's x 20, 30's x 15, *50's x 12, *65's x 8
    incline db curls - 30's x 12, *40's x 12, *40's x 10
    db preacher curls - 30 x 15, *40 x 15, *50 x 10

cable pressdowns - 80 x 30, 110 x 20, 150 x 15, *200 x 12, *200 x 10
    skullcrushers - 90 x 15, *120 x 15, *120 x 12
    bench dips - *2 x max reps

Tried putting the sit-up incline board at its highest and layed on it to try to decompress the spine. I had an inversion board in the US that I miss BIGTIME. That thing helped relieve alot of back pain over the years. Any good chiropractors around? I might need to hit one up coming 2 weeks if this neck pain doesn't show some more progress.:banghead:
    Leg day

leg press - 150 x 30, 200 x 30, 400 x 20, 600 x 15, *700 x 16, *800 x 10
    leg extension - 120 x 25, *stack x 23, *stack x 19 (stack = 220 I think)
    hack squat - 200 x 15, *300 x 15, *350 x 11
    leg curl - 80 x 15, *110 x 15, *130 x 10
    standing calf machine - 180 x 30, *stack x 30, *stack + 50 x 25, *stack + 50 x 22 (stack = 250 I think)

* = worksets

My plan going in was to avoid any exercises that compress the spine due to the back pain I still have. My concern was hacks, but surprisingly they caused no pain. I was pain free until the end of the workout on standing calves - the pad over the shoulders with that weight didn't go to well with the back - I guess from pressing down on the spine. Back to icing it again and eating advils. All in all a good workout considering.
    Eating advils just like eating peanuts! Hehehe. 800lbs on leg press, I think guys at your gym hates u for taking all their plates! Hahaha
    Taking time off again from the gym. Went to see an orthopedic doc yesterday and was very disappointed there. The dude didn't even analyze me just gave me his opinion based on what I told him. I requested an x-ray and he said it's worthless. Requested some strong pain meds, he prescribed me candy. Fuck it - much different here than what I'm used to in the US. Guess I will just keep praying and HOPE it's only strained muscle tissue and not actually in the discs. Check this - when I told him I have some tingling and numbness in the left foot and hand sometimes since the injury, he said "It's common for weightlifters to get that sensation bcoz of the excess blood in the muscle pushing on the nerves".lol After he made that statement I KNEW I was shit out of luck. :banghead:
    Last workout was 6/22. I've rested and taken it easy since then, hoping this upper back issue would heal up. It's still not right. So I kicked chest today. Upper spine around the neck area still hurtin' bigtime. I might have to just go see a chiropractor soon. Anyways...

bb bench press - 225 x 12, 255 x 6
    incline db bench - 100's x 10, 100's x 8
    flat db flyes - 60's x 15, 70's x 10
    dips - bdwt x 20, bdwt x 15

Above does'nt include warmups. Felt awesome to be hittin' the iron again, even though the pain.
    Hit back today. Plan was to not do anything to aggrevate my back injury, ie, no deads, no rows. I was just going to do various types of pulldowns to minimize any disc action. But I'm loko loko haha - tried bb rows but had to stop bcoz feeling pain with 200 lbs...

wg front pulldown - 100 x 25, 130 x 15, 160 x 12, *180 x 12, *200 x 10
    underhand grip bb row - 110 x 20, 160 x 15, 200 x 4 (stopped bcoz pain in spine)
    underhand grip pulldowns - 130 x 15, *160 x 15, *180 x 12
    seated cable rows - stopped on first set - pain again fuck! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    hyperextensions - 2 x 25

Shitty workout, but most probably wouldn't even be in the gym with this bullshit. I hate to think about traveling to Makati to see a chiropractor, but I think I have no choice. I was hoping time would heal this, but it has gotten no better at all, soooooo.
    Thank you LORD!! Had a pain free workout! Did my normal pre w.o gig a Cobra Extra & 24g whey and hit arms...

hammer curl - 20's x 20, 30's x 15, *50's x 12, *65's x 8
    incline db curls - 30's x 12, *40's x 12, *50's x 8
    db preacher curl - 30 x 15, *40 x 15 + 5 burns, *50's x 10 + 5 burns

cable pushdowns - 80 x 30, 120 x 15, 150 x 15, *180 x 15, *200 x 11
    skullcrsuhers - 80 x 15, *110 x 15, *130 x 10

* = worksets

Arms were pumped to the point of expoding. :)
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    dat 130lbs SK's! damn!
    milksworth wrote:
    dat 130lbs SK's! damn!

Hehe hook me up with some of that prop & tren bro and I will be using 180 like back in the day! :) :p
  • DSmallDivideDSmallDivide Posts: 4,565
    Big Dawg wrote:
    Thank you LORD!! Had a pain free workout! Did my normal pre w.o gig a Cobra Extra & 24g whey and hit arms...

* = worksets

Deym those SK's! My elbow's gonna snap w/ that weight LOL! Nothing but props to you! :)

Oh and another thing good thing cobra doesn't make you sleepy, for some reason when i take it, i get way too sleepy and lazy afterwards. hehehe
    Big Dawg wrote:

* = worksets

Deym those SK's! My elbow's gonna snap w/ that weight LOL! Nothing but props to you! :)

Oh and another thing good thing cobra doesn't make you sleepy, for some reason when i take it, i get way too sleepy and lazy afterwards. hehehe

Thanks bro. Yeah I have always had strong triceps. I just wish my bench was in proportion to it haha. Back in the day when I was younger and ON, it was normal for me to put a 45lb, 25lb & 10 lb plate on each side of the EZ-curl bar and get 8 reps on SK's. Of course a little deca always helped keep the joints smooth haha. Ahhh those were the days. :)

It seems Cobra gets me jacked just as much as Monster, and it costs much less. I don't know why it would make you sleepy eh haha?

Off to hit legs soon! :banghead::sport:
    Leg day...

leg press - 150 x 30, 250 x 25, 400 x 20, 600 x 15, *700 x 15, *800 x 10
    leg extension - 150 x 20, *stack x 20, *stack x 15
    hack squats - 100 x 15, 200 x 15, *300 x 15
    leg curl - 80 x 20, *100 x 15, *120 x 10
    standing calf raise - 150 x 30, *stack x 25, *stack x 25

* = worksets

Not the best leg workout - took it easy on hacks and calf raises since any heavy weight on my shoulders puts pressure on my spine and causes pain. Healing, slowly but surely.
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    big numbers!

Just started the leg day, first time using the leg curl machine and leg press machine. Tried hitting my best reps and sets but I'd guess it was a good workout... really can't feel my legs today lol

Climbing stairs were a challenge damn..

but loving the pain.

Sir BD, question does the seated calf raise or standing calf raise same or a different approach?
    Jettie wrote:
    big numbers!

Just started the leg day, first time using the leg curl machine and leg press machine. Tried hitting my best reps and sets but I'd guess it was a good workout... really can't feel my legs today lol

Climbing stairs were a challenge damn..

but loving the pain.

Sir BD, question does the seated calf raise or standing calf raise same or a different approach?

Sounds likes you had a good workout then bro - hey no pain, no gain haha! :)

The calf is comprised of the soleus and the gastrocnemius. Seated focuses more on the soleus, and standing the gastrocnemius. Both seated and standing should be done to hit the entire calf. The seated at our gym sucks, so I don't use it. You can also use the leg press machine to do calf presses, and if you're feeling gay and have a couple big guys around to straddle your back, you can do donkey calf raises hehe. J/K - donkeys are actually great for calves.
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    haha noted sir BD.

I'll try to take a picture on our calf machines.
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    Big Dawg wrote:
    ...and standing the gastrocnemius...

How 'bout doin it on a free weight style instead of machine?
    Core wrote:
    Big Dawg wrote:
    ...and standing the gastrocnemius...

How 'bout doin it on a free weight style instead of machine?

When the leg is bent at the knee, like with the seated calf machine, the soleus is primarily involved. Other movements where the leg is straight involves the gastroc more - be it machine, free weight, whateva.
    Chest day...

RC warmup

flat db press - 20's x 50, 30's x 30, 50's x 20, 80's x 20, *100's x 18, *100's x 15
    incline db press - 60's x 15, 80's x 10, *100's x 11, *100's x 8
    flat db flyes - 50's x 12, *60's x 15, *70's x 11

* = worksets

Would have normally did dips also but they aggrevate my neck injury. All in all a great workout for not being 100%. The great news is I went and got a massage again today after working out. The girl today RULED! She was licensed and it was obvious she knew her shit - she hit my spine up with alot of pressure and even walked on it. When I left there it's the best my neck has felt in a month! I PRAY this relief is permanent and not only temporary - if so I will go back there and give her a much bigger tip haha! :)
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    Big Dawg wrote:
    flat db press - 20's x 50, 30's x 30, 50's x 20, 80's x 20, *100's x 18, *100's x 15

Your every chest day...
    312whdz.jpg
    You're one baddassdawg! Hahaha...
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    lol my chest wo looks puny compared to this! ahahah!
    Core wrote:
    Big Dawg wrote:

Your every chest day...
    312whdz.jpg
    You're one baddassdawg! Hahaha...

Haha that pic would look badass on the gym wall bro!
    milksworth wrote:
    lol my chest wo looks puny compared to this! ahahah!

Nah bro I see the weights you play with you're one strong mofo haha!:sport: I am good at db's but I stopped doing bb bench press about 12 years ago bcoz it was fucking up my rotator cuffs. I just started doing bb bench press again recently and I'm weak as shit on it compared to before.:banghead: I just wish the gym had some 120-140lb db's so I could come back down to 6-8 reps - much better for size than 15-20 rep-outs haha. :p
    Big Dawg wrote:
    Chest day...

RC warmup

flat db flyes - 50's x 12, *60's x 15, *70's x 11

* = worksets

Would have normally did dips also but they aggrevate my neck injury. All in all a great workout for not being 100%. The great news is I went and got a massage again today after working out. The girl today RULED! She was licensed and it was obvious she knew her shit - she hit my spine up with alot of pressure and even walked on it. When I left there it's the best my neck has felt in a month! I PRAY this relief is permanent and not only temporary - if so I will go back there and give her a much bigger tip haha! :)

Deym those number on the DBs! I can press 80s/85s though i'll have to shit bricks in order squeeze 8-10 reps.

Oh and about your masseuse , did she ask "sir do you want SUP (soft) or hard?. Powder, lotion or me?" j/k :P LOL!
  • kulafu25kulafu25 Posts: 292
    ^
    finishing touch! =)

Deym those number on the DBs! I can press 80s/85s though i'll have to shit bricks in order squeeze 8-10 reps.

Oh and about your masseuse , did she ask "sir do you want SUP (soft) or hard?. Powder, lotion or me?" j/k :P LOL!

Hey bro I thank GOD often that he still gives me the health & strength I have for my age. You're well experienced so you know the deal - keep bustin' ass and soon you will be playing with the 100's hehe. And oh yeah that masseuse ruled - actually woke up today without miserable pain yaaayyyy! :) When you get my age, thats the time injuries & joints hurt the most - upon awakening. :banghead:
    Good for you i hope when i reach you age i'm "far stronger" than i am now.well true enough about "bustin-ass" if you still looked the same at the end of training just like before you started, you defnitely just fooled around the gym hehehe.