Big Dawg

No pain, no gain! :sport:

Comments

• patspats Posts: 199
    All i can say is, wow :jd:
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    yown! Nice sir big dawg! Hope you post your workout program, nutrition and lifts your way so that we can look and study and apply everything on it and especially what's your current for sir noel and sir pacoy's workout routine..
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    dayum! envy much with your arms sir! i wish id also get to your current weight i know its hard but still im hoping to achieve it.
    milksworth wrote:
    dayum! envy much with your arms sir! i wish id also get to your current weight i know its hard but still im hoping to achieve it.

Thanks bro. Stay hungry and you will achieve it - you're still young and have a great physique already dude![size=large]TRAINING[/size]

Day 1: Chest
    Day 2: Back
    Day 3: rest
    Day 4: Delts/Traps
    Day 5: Arms
    Day 6: Legs
    Day 7: rest

In general I go heavy as possible on the basic compound exercises for 8-10 reps. I used to go much heavier when younger, but with age, one has to avoid injury also. On isolation exercises I use higher reps around 12-15. I do low volume - usually 2 worksets per exercise, but I bust ass on it to failure. Similar to Yates style, but I don't do all the forced reps and negatives at my age now. I'll post some workouts later with more detail.
  • Mighty_OakMighty_Oak Posts: 3,940
    Holy Guns, quads, calves and everything!

I'm stuck at 200 - 205lbs now Sir. How i wish I'm at the 225lb range at least.

I'm also glad how you emphasized the importance of the "basic compound exercises" and how it's still the core of your programming. Many Pinoys especially the youngsters are so fixated on doing those isolation movements even without having any solid foundation yet thinking it would make them look "chiseled" while getting big at the same time.

Since I'm into strength training, I'm eager to know your lifting stats Sir so if you may kindly share us your poundages on those compound lifts. Thanks!
    Mighty_Oak wrote:

I'm also glad how you emphasized the importance of the "basic compound exercises" and how it's still the core of your programming. Many Pinoys especially the youngsters are so fixated on doing those isolation movements even without having any solid foundation yet thinking it would make them look "chiseled" while getting big at the same time.

Since I'm into strength training, I'm eager to know your lifting stats Sir so if you may kindly share us your poundages on those compound lifts. Thanks!

Thanks Oak! Btw I like how you have Arnolds nickname and use Franco deadlifting as your avi! I checked out your vid deadlifting - stong bro. You have to remember I am 6'0 tall, so you're probably thicker than me at even 205 if you're 5'7 or 5'8 tall.

Yes, basic compounds are the key to getting big no doubt. I can't count the times over the years that young guys would approach me in the gym and ask how to get bigger, and I would tell them stick with the basics, go heavy with good form, and eat right. Then I would see them in the gym 2 or 3 days later doing countless sets of cable crossovers for chest or cable curls for bi's haha! Some people don't want to listen and aren't willing to put in the hard work it takes on squats, deads, benches, rows, militaries, dips, pullups, etc. Chisled comes from diet & cardio, not a bunch of light weights on cables & machines.

Regarding my lifts bro, I never have been that strong for my size. I guess I'm more like Arnold in the fact that I was blessed with the genes to put on alot of size, but not with the God given strength like a Franco. To give an example, years ago my best bench was 425 x 3, squat was 545 x 5 and dead 505 x 3. Those lifts were raw - but I wore a belt, so technically not raw haha. I weighed around 250 when I did that back in my 30's. Shit we had guys in the gym that weighed only 200 that lifted more than that. I never did single max's to avoid injury, and rarely did I go that low in reps as I wasn't a powerlifter. I usually trained for hypertrophy with rep ranges in the 8-12 range.

Some of my other best lifts for reps was incline bb press 315 x 10, press behind neck 275 x 6, leg press 1350 x 10, flat db press 150's x 8. I still go heavy as possible for 8-12 reps. When you hit the iron hard and heavy as many years as I have, injuries happen. I haven't squatted regularly in many years since in 2001 I injured my lumbar and it put me out of work for a year. I also haven't did flat bb bench in many years due to rotator cuff issues. I can still do heavy db work or inclines, but the incline bench here at the gym is angled so high, I don't do incline bb bench - I stick with db's. Hey we all have to adapt and tweak our routines to work around injuries, joint pains, etc.

I don't want to scare anyone away from squats or benching. Those exercises should be key with youngsters to build a solid foundation. Keep in mind, I had squatted for 20 years before giving it up haha. Anyone wanting to get big MUST stick to the basics, and always try to get stronger. That doesn't mean get stronger doing single max lifts, it means for reps. Example - if someone is benching 150 x 10 today, then next week, he should try his BEST to get it for 11, OR 155 x 10. If the weights always stay the same, so will the physique. It takes small steps, and getting big doesn't happen overnight.

Sorry for the book!lol :p
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    that guns! that everything deym!
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    ^ solid advise sir big dawg! hope the youngsters here would really stick with this thinking and training style.
  • Mighty_OakMighty_Oak Posts: 3,940
    Big Dawg wrote:
    Mighty_Oak wrote:

Thanks Oak! Btw I like how you have Arnolds nickname and use Franco deadlifting as your avi! I checked out your vid deadlifting - stong bro. You have to remember I am 6'0 tall, so you're probably thicker than me at even 205 if you're 5'7 or 5'8 tall.

Yes, basic compounds are the key to getting big no doubt. I can't count the times over the years that young guys would approach me in the gym and ask how to get bigger, and I would tell them stick with the basics, go heavy with good form, and eat right. Then I would see them in the gym 2 or 3 days later doing countless sets of cable crossovers for chest or cable curls for bi's haha! Some people don't want to listen and aren't willing to put in the hard work it takes on squats, deads, benches, rows, militaries, dips, pullups, etc. Chisled comes from diet & cardio, not a bunch of light weights on cables & machines.

Regarding my lifts bro, I never have been that strong for my size. I guess I'm more like Arnold in the fact that I was blessed with the genes to put on alot of size, but not with the God given strength like a Franco. To give an example, years ago my best bench was 425 x 3, squat was 545 x 5 and dead 505 x 3. Those lifts were raw - but I wore a belt, so technically not raw haha. I weighed around 250 when I did that back in my 30's. Shit we had guys in the gym that weighed only 200 that lifted more than that. I never did single max's to avoid injury, and rarely did I go that low in reps as I wasn't a powerlifter. I usually trained for hypertrophy with rep ranges in the 8-12 range.

Some of my other best lifts for reps was incline bb press 315 x 10, press behind neck 275 x 6, leg press 1350 x 10, flat db press 150's x 8. I still go heavy as possible for 8-12 reps. When you hit the iron hard and heavy as many years as I have, injuries happen. I haven't squatted regularly in many years since in 2001 I injured my lumbar and it put me out of work for a year. I also haven't did flat bb bench in many years due to rotator cuff issues. I can still do heavy db work or inclines, but the incline bench here at the gym is angled so high, I don't do incline bb bench - I stick with db's. Hey we all have to adapt and tweak our routines to work around injuries, joint pains, etc.

I don't want to scare anyone away from squats or benching. Those exercises should be key with youngsters to build a solid foundation. Keep in mind, I had squatted for 20 years before giving it up haha. Anyone wanting to get big MUST stick to the basics, and always try to get stronger. That doesn't mean get stronger doing single max lifts, it means for reps. Example - if someone is benching 150 x 10 today, then next week, he should try his BEST to get it for 11, OR 155 x 10. If the weights always stay the same, so will the physique. It takes small steps, and getting big doesn't happen overnight.

Sorry for the book!lol :p

THIS. THIS and finally THIS.

Can we post this on the main page so for EVERYONE to read?

Thank you for the insights Sir, hope to train with you one of these days.
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Wow I first thought that was arnold in his younger years. Hahaha.

You're just 16 and you look like that. Impressive!
    I admire you're physique and experience but what do like the most is how you you respond.
    For me, I don't mind reading your long posts as long as I am learning.
    So please keep them coming!
  • kulafu25kulafu25 Posts: 292
    one word " Inspiration!"
  • xtend1220xtend1220 Posts: 121
    :jd::jd: im speechless
  • rotrot78rotrot78 Posts: 1,147
    inspiring!!
  • nattypinoynattypinoy Posts: 158
    AMAZING GENES
    salamat sa share of knowledge and expierence sir.

Sir ano po noon ang preparation mo nun heydays mo sa competition? diet? workout prior to competition?
  • mufstermufster Posts: 132
    I am getting more motivated after seeing this.... basic/compound is really the foundation.... now I going to love the foundation.
    Haven't been on past 3 weeks due to a computer problem. It's fixed now so yaaay back! :)
    allen101 wrote:
    Wow I first thought that was arnold in his younger years. Hahaha.

You're just 16 and you look like that. Impressive!
    I admire you're physique and experience but what do like the most is how you you respond.
    For me, I don't mind reading your long posts as long as I am learning.
    So please keep them coming!

Thanks bro, I will do my best! :)Rested today, hit arms yesterday:

Hammer db curls - 20's x 20, 30's x 15, 50's x 12, *65's x 10, *65's x 8
    Seated incline db curls - 30's x 12, *40's x 12, *50's x 8
    EZ bar curl 21's - *2 sets, 75 lbs

CG Bench press - 90 x 30, 120 x 20, 170 x 15, *220 x 12, *240 x 8
    EZ bar skullcrushers - 90 x 15, *120 x 12, *150 x 8
    Cable pushdowns - 100 x 15, *160 x 15, *200 x 10

* = worksets; all other sets are warmups/feel-sets

My normal pre-workout ritual of drinking 2 Cobra Extra's had me jacked as usual haha! ;)
    Back day...

WG front pulldowns - 80 x 25, 120 x 20, 160 x 15, *200 x 13, *230 x 9
    Deadlift - 115 x 12, 225 x 10, *325 x 8, *375 x 5
    Barbell rows - 185 x 15, *230 x 15, *280 x 8
    CG underhand pulldowns - *180 x 12, *210 x 8

* = worksets

At the gym I go to, the biggest plates are the 50's - they are steel & thick and not so wide like a modern 45lb plate. So, I have to bend over much more to start the pull. I don't go so heavy bcoz of that - don't need any injuries. I guess I could do rack pulls/partial deads, but I prefer the full movement. :)

Also, felt like I was going to pass out today bcoz so damn hot and humid. No aircon, no electric fans - wtf is up with filipino gym owners apparently thinking the more you sweat, the better the workout?lol Maybe for boxing training or other cardio-involved sports, but NOT the best environment for trying to use heavy weights and gains. Is this normal in all Phils to not even have 1 fucking fan in the gym?
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    Sir, can you give me a few tricks on barbell rows? do you pull the bar below the chest or towards the abs?
    Sir, can you give me a few tricks on barbell rows? do you pull the bar below the chest or towards the abs?

Sure bro. I pull to the lower abs to target the lower lats more. Pulling up higher is great also but with more emphasis on the rhomboids & mid-upper lats. Actually either way is cool just so you are busting ass - thats the main point. Today I used overhand grip, but I often switch up and go underhand. Underhand really hits the lower lats, however you can't typically use as much weight.
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    Thank you sir! Maybe that's how you got that thickness. Haha
    Big Dawg wrote:

Also, felt like I was going to pass out today bcoz so damn hot and humid. No aircon, no electric fans - wtf is up with filipino gym owners apparently thinking the more you sweat, the better the workout?lol Maybe for boxing training or other cardio-involved sports, but NOT the best environment for trying to use heavy weights and gains. Is this normal in all Phils to not even have 1 fucking fan in the gym?

Not all, but there ARE gyms like that.
    Yesterday I went to visit a gym with a friend. My friend knew the owner and the PT of that gym.
    It's newly opened gym with really good equips, all are from ensayo.
    Gym resides at the low ground of a condo, all are good except that inside you'll feel like you're in a sauna. Closed door, no windows, no fan, just a tiny tiny exhaust fan.
    And they have this idea that exosing to fan while working out is bad because according to them "naku masama matuyuan ng pawis".
  • sevenstringsevenstring Posts: 903
    it's also a way to save electricity on the gym owner's part. lol
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    Big Dawg wrote:
    Is this normal in all Phils to not even have 1 fucking fan in the gym?

If you're talking 'bout back-alley gyms, then probably YES!
    it's also a way to save electricity on the gym owner's part. lol

Haha yeah I'm guessing thats it. What I don't get is that most of the guys there will actually go close all the windows when working out. I mean, they are sweating thier ass off too, not just me - easy to see. Is their a mindset here in Phils that the more you sweat equals a better workout or what? Then again, most of them are the guys that spends 3 hours on chest and doesn't even hit legs, so perhaps not educated to the iron game I dunno. All I know is, I can damn sure lift some heavier weights if I'm NOT SWIMMING in sweat only 30 minutes into the workout!lol :)
  • DSmallDivideDSmallDivide Posts: 4,565
    Big Dawg wrote:
    Is their a mindset here in Phils that the more you sweat equals a better workout or what?

Apparently and sad to say, there is. most people think the more you sweat the more fat you burn. It's as if fat turns into water immediately after you burn them during workout/training. In fact there are still a lot "myths" that exists in our chosen art and sport that is being practiced/encouraged by most of the gyms here in the country. :(
  • StannisStannis Posts: 1,377
    A lot of people uses girdle!!
    Big Dawg wrote:
    Is their a mindset here in Phils that the more you sweat equals a better workout or what?

Apparently and sad to say, there is. most people think the more you sweat the more fat you burn. It's as if fat turns into water immediately after you burn them during workout/training. In fact there are still a lot "myths" that exists in our chosen art and sport that is being practiced/encouraged by most of the gyms here in the country. :(

Thanks for the explanation bro! I will say this - the good thing about working out in a "sauna" always is the releif it provides to the joints. I've had rotator cuff issues on and off for years. I can now do many exercises pain free that I couldn't do back in the USA over the past few years. Thats a true testament that wet heat is indeed therapeutic, and proves why it is used in physical therapy clinics for many joint & muscle pain issues. Hell just recently I started doing flat bb bench press again bcoz the db's at the gym aren't heavy enuff. I'm very weak on the movement compared to before since I haven't done them in years, however, it's at least more weight than the 2 db's combined, so all is good. However, on leg & back day is when I could do without the sauna effect haha. :)Pre-workout ritual mode now yeaaahhhh budddaaaaaayyy haha! :p Drinking 2 Cobras while watching Branch Warrens' train insane vid - got delts & traps today. Heading to the gym soon I'll post up later. Have a great day everyone! :)
    Delts & traps today...

Press behind neck - bar x 50, bar x 25, 70 x 20, 120 x 20, *180 x 12, *210 x 7
    Seated db press - 30's x 20, 60's x 15, *80's x 12, *90's x 8
    Side db laterals - 25's x 15, *40's x 15, *45's x 10 drop *35's x 9 drop *25's x 13
    Bent over laterals - 35's x 15, *45's x 15, *50's x 12

Barbell shrugs - 115 x 25, 215 x 20, *315 x 20, *315 x 15
    db shrugs - *100's x 20, *100's x 16

* = worksets

Didn't go so heavy on bb shrugs bcoz was sweating so much that I couldn't keep a good grip on the bar even with straps. :banghead:
    Those weights!!!!

Wow!

Do you alternate behind the neck press with militry press?
    Haven't done behind the neck presses yet, is that for the posterior deltoid?
    Sorry for the noob question.