Why Am I Not Losing Weight?

This is based on personal experience and a lot of research on my behalf, haha. sana magiging useful din siya para sa inyo (to those looking at fat loss) but I don't want to get into the science aspect of it. Basta dapat nyo lang malaman kung ba't tayo nagplateau, and what we can do with it.

--

So, we all hit a point where we "plateau" at a certain weight. The scale doesn't seem to change anymore, no matter how drastic our cuts might seem to be. Here are some contributing factors to that plateau:

1. Your body has grown accustomed to your routine. Switch it up. A few weeks ago you might have been burning a lot of calories doing cardio, but the body adapts to it. Increase the intensity of your cardio, try high intensity interval training instead of stable, moderate intensity. Sprint for 30 seconds, and walk for a minute - repeat the cycle. Or increase the weights that you've been lifting.

2. You're underestimating your food intake. Ang weight loss talaga ay based on the calories in vs. calories out principle. If for example you started at 210 lbs, and now you weigh in at 180 lbs, you can't eat the same things kasi your energy expenditure decreases as you lose weight. Maraming online calculators available to calculate your calorie needs per day. Try adjusting your calorie needs accordingly whenever you lose weight.

3. You're holding water weight. Drink more water! Usually sabi ng mga tao na you have to eliminate sodium (dapat walang lasa yung pagkain mo etc.) pero walang problemang kumain ng maalat, basta't uminom lang kayo ng tubig. Aim for at least a gallon of water a day. Sa mga ladies, our monthly cycle contributes to holding water weight, so don't be scared pag biglang naggain kayo ng weight! It's just water weight, and it should be gone by the time your period is over.

PERO.. GINAWA KO NA LAHAT YAN. INIIBA KO NA ROUTINE KO, CINACALCULATE KO PA LAHAT NG KINAIN KO, AT UMIINOM AKO NG TUBIG! WHY AM I STILL NOT LOSING?

When you put your body under a lot of stress, nagstrenuous exercise ka pa, tapos sobrang laki pa ng calorie deficit mo, magloloko ang hormones (leptin/ghrelin/cortisol) mo. So it holds on to as much weight as it can. If you've been under a deficit for a very long time, try eating above maintenance once a week (a refeed) to inform your body that you aren't undereating. We have natural defense mechanisms sa body eh, so dapat talaga we need to know how to manipulate it.

And finally, if wala talaga.. you might have a thyroid problem. So get checked up as the very last resort!

--

Hope that helps :D

Comments

• SkkinSkkin Posts: 870
    good post mam :)
  • it may be due to tension,stress etc try eating vegetables and having a vegetarian diet for a change.
    and try to do some cardio exercises because these exercises are best for fitness and weight loss ...
    washington boot camp
  • cheesecake wrote:
    If you've been under a deficit for a very long time, try eating above maintenance once a week (a refeed) to inform your body that you aren't undereating. We have natural defense mechanisms sa body eh, so dapat talaga we need to know how to manipulate it.

Lady Cheesecake ako ay may katanungan sa linyang ito. when you say "refeed" meaning aangat mo ulit intake mo ng calories dun sa required calorie levels mo tama po ba? (exmaple, your daily required is 2000 calories, but since youve been on diet by only taking 1500 calories per day pag nag plateau ka, angat mo ulit to 2000cals intake mo for one day?). :)

• ako naman lage akong bloated, hindi ko maintindihan baket lol
  • donbuhdonbuh Posts: 3,164
    kabag yan dalton..ahahaha..ako tambay lang tlaga yung mga ab fats...sinulatan ko na nga ng:

"Bawal ang Tambay Dito!!!"

alang epekto...
  • Lady Cheesecake ako ay may katanungan sa linyang ito. when you say "refeed" meaning aangat mo ulit intake mo ng calories dun sa required calorie levels mo tama po ba? (exmaple, your daily required is 2000 calories, but since youve been on diet by only taking 1500 calories per day pag nag plateau ka, angat mo ulit to 2000cals intake mo for one day?). :)

yup, or even over maintenance (just don't overdo it) :D
  • cheesecake wrote:
    Lady Cheesecake ako ay may katanungan sa linyang ito. when you say "refeed" meaning aangat mo ulit intake mo ng calories dun sa required calorie levels mo tama po ba? (exmaple, your daily required is 2000 calories, but since youve been on diet by only taking 1500 calories per day pag nag plateau ka, angat mo ulit to 2000cals intake mo for one day?). :)

Sa Wakas ang pinakaiintay kong reply ni lady cheese! :D haha. So sa tingin mo madam, mas maigi bang gawin to pag "cheat day" mo para isang pasadahan na lang? Salamat sa sagot! :D
  • The good way to lose wait is walking and yoga.....
    its good for the best health and fitness.....
  • Mighty_OakMighty_Oak Posts: 3,940
    Instead of focusing on cardio, lift heavy instead. Also if you wanna do cardio make sure it targets fat loss like complexes.
  • toysuki07toysuki07 Posts: 1,049
    cardio helps on burning fats during and after the exercise (resting period).
    toysuki07 wrote:

Ok what types of cardio focuses on burning fats? Don't you think what I mentioned which are complexes is not one of those?

Are you sure that the EPOC generated by cardio is greater than lifting heavy? Care to share some literature on it?
  • iLIKE :D
  • toysuki07toysuki07 Posts: 1,049
    Mighty_Oak wrote:
    toysuki07 wrote:

Ok what types of cardio focuses on burning fats? Don't you think what I mentioned which are complexes is not one of those?

Are you sure that the EPOC generated by cardio is greater than lifting heavy? Care to share some literature on it?

not 'focuses on burning but 'helps in burning together with strong muscles... I read it in Sean N's ebook XD
    ^But not all forms of cardio are geared towards fat burning and retaining lean muscle mass at the same time.
  • Do you think it's possible to lose fat without losing weight? feeling ko kasi I'm loosing fat.. kasi titignan ko sarili ko sa salamin parang nagiging lean ako... hindi nako bumababa sa 152lbs eh... 5'5 1/2 height ko..
  • aloy0511aloy0511 Posts: 948
    @liquidvamp

yep possbile yan lalo na pag nag gygym ka kasi remember muscle is heavier than fat.
    kaya kahit na straight ka lang sa 152lbs kung parang nagiging manipis ka naman eh di ibig sabihin napapalitan ng muscles ung fat mo
  • Liquidvamp wrote:
    Do you think it's possible to lose fat without losing weight? feeling ko kasi I'm loosing fat.. kasi titignan ko sarili ko sa salamin parang nagiging lean ako... hindi nako bumababa sa 152lbs eh... 5'5 1/2 height ko..

theoretically oo, body recomposition yan pero generally ppl follow bulk/cut cycles kasi recomp takes too long..
  • mrlouiemrlouie Posts: 105
    aloy0511 wrote:
    @liquidvamp

yep possbile yan lalo na pag nag gygym ka kasi remember muscle is heavier than fat.
    kaya kahit na straight ka lang sa 152lbs kung parang nagiging manipis ka naman eh di ibig sabihin napapalitan ng muscles ung fat mo

salamat sir,
    nalinwan ako dito,napansin ko din kasi sa itsura ko na nawawala yung ibang taba ko pero kumokorte then yung timbang ko naman hindi bumababa
  • cheesecake wrote:

I read somewhere na effective ito. They call it caloric zig zagging. Havent tried it though. I will definitely try this on my next cutting cycle.
  • XianHijasXianHijas Posts: 10
    cheesecake wrote:
    This is based on personal experience and a lot of research on my behalf, haha. sana magiging useful din siya para sa inyo (to those looking at fat loss) but I don't want to get into the science aspect of it. Basta dapat nyo lang malaman kung ba't tayo nagplateau, and what we can do with it.

--

So, we all hit a point where we "plateau" at a certain weight. The scale doesn't seem to change anymore, no matter how drastic our cuts might seem to be. Here are some contributing factors to that plateau:

1. Your body has grown accustomed to your routine. Switch it up. A few weeks ago you might have been burning a lot of calories doing cardio, but the body adapts to it. Increase the intensity of your cardio, try high intensity interval training instead of stable, moderate intensity. Sprint for 30 seconds, and walk for a minute - repeat the cycle. Or increase the weights that you've been lifting.

2. You're underestimating your food intake. Ang weight loss talaga ay based on the calories in vs. calories out principle. If for example you started at 210 lbs, and now you weigh in at 180 lbs, you can't eat the same things kasi your energy expenditure decreases as you lose weight. Maraming online calculators available to calculate your calorie needs per day. Try adjusting your calorie needs accordingly whenever you lose weight.

3. You're holding water weight. Drink more water! Usually sabi ng mga tao na you have to eliminate sodium (dapat walang lasa yung pagkain mo etc.) pero walang problemang kumain ng maalat, basta't uminom lang kayo ng tubig. Aim for at least a gallon of water a day. Sa mga ladies, our monthly cycle contributes to holding water weight, so don't be scared pag biglang naggain kayo ng weight! It's just water weight, and it should be gone by the time your period is over.

PERO.. GINAWA KO NA LAHAT YAN. INIIBA KO NA ROUTINE KO, CINACALCULATE KO PA LAHAT NG KINAIN KO, AT UMIINOM AKO NG TUBIG! WHY AM I STILL NOT LOSING?

When you put your body under a lot of stress, nagstrenuous exercise ka pa, tapos sobrang laki pa ng calorie deficit mo, magloloko ang hormones (leptin/ghrelin/cortisol) mo. So it holds on to as much weight as it can. If you've been under a deficit for a very long time, try eating above maintenance once a week (a refeed) to inform your body that you aren't undereating. We have natural defense mechanisms sa body eh, so dapat talaga we need to know how to manipulate it.

And finally, if wala talaga.. you might have a thyroid problem. So get checked up as the very last resort!

--

Hope that helps :D

Let me add more

4. You're depending on the weighing scale
    You must know that weight is different from bodyfat
    weight = bones, organs, fats, muscles, water and foods in your stomach
    bodyfat = fat

so the best way to know if you're losing fat or not... is to take measure them in measurements.
    measure your belly, chest, ab, arms etc. if it goes down, you're losing fat.

5. Depending on the supplements
    A lot of people are being brainwashed by advertisements with diet pills, fat burners, weight loss pills etc.
    THEY DON'T WORK... losing fat is simple as A-B-C
    -Eat under your maintenance (caloric deficit)
    -Drink lots of water
    -Do your cardio exercises (jogging, walking, cycling)
    -Sleep!

These are very simple steps in order to lose fat.

6. NOT BEING PATIENT
    No one can tell when you're going to have flat stomach or belly...
    you just have to keep dieting and dieting until you reach it..
    be PATIENT, and it will be worth it in the end :)
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    XianHijas wrote:
    Let me add more

4. You're depending on the weighing scale
    You must know that weight is different from bodyfat
    weight = bones, organs, fats, muscles, water and foods in your stomach
    bodyfat = fat

so the best way to know if you're losing fat or not... is to take measure them in measurements.
    measure your belly, chest, ab, arms etc. if it goes down, you're losing fat.

XianHijasDeth.klok - Not the best way IMO. A single number could tell different stories.
    Better yet also, gauge progress by checking your aesthetics on a mirror—bodybuilding-wise.
  • zinedreizinedrei Posts: 33
    tanong lang regarding water weight.

pano mawawala ito? or pwede ba itong mawala?
    feeling ko kasi minsan bloated dahil sa dami ng iniinom kong tubig.
  • putrackputrack Posts: 89
    ^Reduce sodium intake
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    Or taking too much carbs...
  • zinedreizinedrei Posts: 33
    salamat. im trying to cut down on carbs na rin. less sodium as well. since going back to the gym, napapatingin na ako sa likod na label regarding contents ng kakainin ko :)
  • FlorianFlorian Posts: 55
    how's working now bro?

if you still need help.. pls write me what you eat now (from morning untill night). How old are you? Size and weight? and what are you final goals?
  • MaloyMaloy Posts: 582
    Thanks Florian for all the helpful tips you provided. It's great to know that someone of your caliber finds enough time to respond to all the queries with straight to the point answer... without BS.
    thaks for this kind word.... iam melted..
    well my caliber? thanks for that.. but iam nothing special. Honestly i think, here are more experts than me. Nobody knows all in Bodybuilding - and there are always many right ways and many wrong ways...to find the right way for you ist a hard and long challenge... i know some Bodybuilders, they are over 40 years old, and they are still looking for some answers. About that its important to share the personal experiences and to try out some diffrent programs, meanings and advices.

The Problem is that the most magazines tells you a lot of carabao tae..... the owner of this magazines is a very popular supplement seller.. no wonder they will tell you that you need all supplements. And their programs are for prefessional Bodybuilders (steroid monsters) and not for oridinary people.. honestly who haves time to train twice a day? or who can spend 500 Dollar each month for meat and supplements?

Loosing fat is very very sensitive toppic... here are many cheates arround they will tell you how to train, how to eat etc..... and nothing for free... all coast a lot of money and nervs.. .but finaly you wont loose fat. I know the pinoy kitchen and i know their hidden "sins" if you wanna loose fat. About that i would offer my help for free, if somebody needs it.
  • YatezYatez Posts: 2,745
    Sir Florian do you have chicken breasts recipes there that will not "spoil" when kept on a container for an entire day? by "spoil" meaning the odor and taste that chicken breasts emits when it is not that "freshly" cooked anymore.
    i prefer turkey chest than chicken (it haves less own taste). I cook them in coconut milk (with curry, vegetables, sweet patatoes, nuts and a bit rice).... if you prefer the plain chicken (wihout sauce) you can put a bit lemon juice (fresh) or calamansi juice over the chicken..... sometimes i make a chickenchest salat... i cut it in slices take some tomatoes, salats and a cooked egg in slices... as sauce i make a bit vinaigre, a calamansi juices and pepper.. (if you want with a bit olive oil). it depents on your diet...

in general i have good experiences if you cook out the container.... it means cleaning with very hot water.. sometimes you must let the container in hot water with kitchen soap over night... and if they starts to smell, please replace them.. coz your food will get rotten fast. But if you cant storage them on a cold place, please try to find a thermo bag..... i also use a thermo bag for my foods.. so i can keep them longer cold or hot.