High Volume or Low Volume (pump training or strength training) ?

I find online content confusing, some sites would suggest that High Volume with light weights (pump training) would lead to muscle growth whereas others suggest that Low Volume with heavy weights would mean an increase in strength which leads to muscle hypertrophy. In other words, strength should be the primary consideration for muscle growth rather than volume in itself. What do you guys think?

Comments

• badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471

For a beginner like you, you dont have much options when it comes to number of reps and poundage to use. You start with a certain weight and build from there. You do as many reps as possible for a certain weight then you add weight until you reach a relatively "heavy" set wherein you end up doing fewer reps. That's it. You'll end up doing both approach.

• sydfrexsydfrex Posts: 11

Thank you for the information....

with the so many new workout forms and techniques that flood the internet these days it's so hard to reach a conclusion as to what workout style one should follow throughout their training career.... It seems that many people are just trying to sell fads these days.

So I'll stick to the classic workout style then which I believe have worked for the majority of people.

• ironpump666ironpump666 Posts: 309
    edited April 2016

Hey @sydfrex , sir Vinch is definitely correct. Its not the rep range or poundage since you will gain no matter what routine you'll do. Most beginners will skyrocket their gains following any training program during first few months of lifting. Listen to your body, switch your routine every 2-3 weeks and stick to what is working best for you, and do not be afraid to try different approach in training. Train hard and get out of your comfort zone.

Post edited by ironpump666 on
  • sydfrexsydfrex Posts: 11

Thank you guys, I will let you know on my progress :smile: