Feeling weird about upper body work out

Anyone can give suggestions on what I'm missing out or why I'm feeling this way about my work out?

So I used to do a lot of KB, deadlifts and squats in my previous gym.

I move to this new gym and of course my programs completely different. From a work out that's a 5 - 3 - 1 deadlift increasing weight or a usual 4 sets 10 reps KB work out that last for 30 - 45 minutes 3 times a week. 

I'm now doing something like a 12 rep 3 set exercise, 3 times a week. I start off with 20 minutes on the bike and end with abs work out before stretching. I feel like I'm doing more arms day than legs day. The other day I did a little bit of leg work out just on a squat rack and leg press and hack squat machine and leg curls. 

I'm currently in the gym for about an hour not including the 20 minute bike start. This is my new training program with a new trainer. I pretty much do a lot of stuff. I just can't remember them all. My arms felt more sore than my legs. Legs don't feel like they're shredded or anything. 

It just feels weird. I'm a fan of leg days and deadlifts and I feel like this program is feeling a bit off. I'm not sure if it's because I'm really digging my old work out routine or I'm not understanding the goal of this work out. Anyone has an idea what the goal of this work out is?

Most of the time I'm just lifting light weights with high reps. I work out with little to no rest period, just when I finish my set. 

I was being made to do light KB with 40 swings of 2 sets. Is that normal? That wasn't anything I've ever experienced doing KB back at my old gym with my RKC certified instructor.

I just don't want to feel like my trainer is just pushing me to do more workouts just because he thinks I'm strong just to tire me out. I don't want to get injured either pushing myself to doing the last set when I'm already out of energy.

Don't mean to rant. Just having a work out confusion at the moment. Anyone can give me their opinions or thoughts about how I'm feeling right now?

Comments

• BANEBANE Posts: 1,927
    I just don't want to feel like my trainer is just pushing me to do more workouts just because he thinks I'm strong just to tire me out.

have you talked to your trainer about it? have you told him that you don't think its challenging enough for you? i don't want to sound skeptical, but most of them trainers in the fitness industry will try to sell various shit just for them to sell (supplements, equipment, TRAINING PROGRAM and etc) and sometimes, they will delay the progress just to prolong the end result. I hope this is not your case, benefit of the doubt!  :biggrin:  but imagine, if you get fast result, then you'll never gonna go back (sure you'll say you still will) but in reality, you have already achieved your goal so why stick around right?   On a clients perspective, again, talk to your trainer, talk it out again and let him feel what you feel, think and want to do. because if youre not satisfied, papalit ka na ng trainer ma'am, mag sasayang ka lang ng oras because you know that YOU KNOW BETTER.  :biggrin:
  • BANE wrote:
    I just don't want to feel like my trainer is just pushing me to do more workouts just because he thinks I'm strong just to tire me out.

have you talked to your trainer about it? have you told him that you don't think its challenging enough for you? i don't want to sound skeptical, but most of them trainers in the fitness industry will try to sell various shit just for them to sell (supplements, equipment, TRAINING PROGRAM and etc) and sometimes, they will delay the progress just to prolong the end result. I hope this is not your case, benefit of the doubt!  :biggrin:  but imagine, if you get fast result, then you'll never gonna go back (sure you'll say you still will) but in reality, you have already achieved your goal so why stick around right?   On a clients perspective, again, talk to your trainer, talk it out again and let him feel what you feel, think and want to do. because if youre not satisfied, papalit ka na ng trainer ma'am, mag sasayang ka lang ng oras because you know that YOU KNOW BETTER.  :biggrin:

I'm a firm believer that work outs are not just to lose weight but a lifestyle. Consistency is key. Babalik ka lang sa dati pagtumigil.

Anyway, lumipat lang naman kasi ako ng gym dahil based na ko sa ibang lugar. Di naman ako titigil sa dati if di ako nalipat ng malayo.

Ano ba yung mga ways ng pangdelay ng mga fitness professionals na alam mo? Sa tingin ko naman, kung confident at magaling talaga ang coach, there's nothing to fear dahil babalik at babalikan sya ng cliente.
  • BANEBANE Posts: 1,927
    BANE wrote:

I'm a firm believer that work outs are not just to lose weight but a lifestyle. Consistency is key. Babalik ka lang sa dati pagtumigil.

Anyway, lumipat lang naman kasi ako ng gym dahil based na ko sa ibang lugar. Di naman ako titigil sa dati if di ako nalipat ng malayo.

Ano ba yung mga ways ng pangdelay ng mga fitness professionals na alam mo? Sa tingin ko naman, kung confident at magaling talaga ang coach, there's nothing to fear dahil babalik at babalikan sya ng cliente.

dont get me wrong, i am too a firm believer (and a belieber haha) na life style tlga sya, but for some they have goals, targets to keep on eye on, to get them going, to keep them motivated, to keep them on track. un lang naman po iyon. i mean before im like 300lbs guy and "lifestyle change" never occurred to me before.  gusto ko lang tlga pumayat. wala ako pake kahit ano mga supps na bilin ko, kung hindi on point nutrition ko, kahit magpakamatay ako sa gym na hindi kumakain and what not. kulang nalang mag illegal drugs ako. ganun kadesperado hehe pero syempre nung mas naintinhan ko na mga bagay bagay, at medyo mas malapit na ko sa goal ko, mas naintindihan ko ung "lifestyle change". pero un nga hindi lahat agad agad ma gragrasp ang true meaning nyan at ang essence nya in the big picture. lalo kuwari may personal issues sila diba. to each his/her own ika nga...

opinion ko lang to ma'am ah... akin lang to, haha. if i am that "marketing/ftiness" dude na mag bebenta ng products ko (yes yes, ill help you be healthy, lose fat, gain muscle or whatever your goal is) to begin with, this is my profession, where i get my money to pay bills, food, clothing and things to live. given wala akong masyadong cliente, given intermediate lang ako sa larangan (not pro, not beginner) at may client ako na gusto sabihin natin pumayat. hindi ko lahat sasabhin sayo lahat ng alam ko in one sitting. papatagalin ko, tho youll see results sure, 1 month two months or so. effective syempre, totoo lhat ng sinasi ko eh, so pag matatapos na contract natin for example monthly and nakakita ka ng result, syempre kukunin mo ulet ako and renew, the cycle goes on. before you know it its been a year! yey! pumayat ako, i lost 30 lbs in 1 year! effective si kuya. true, true, but ung point ko lang, IF binigay nya lahat sayo in a short period of time ung techniques and ways nya malamang nakuha mo din ng 6 months ung progress na un. un nga lang, less month/contract = less income.. un lang naman po ay opinion ko. hehe
  • nrg500nrg500 Posts: 1,233
    @ shesstonefox

Ano bang physique ang goal mo ? Ganito ba ?

(Michelle Lewin)
    8.jpg

(Sue Lasmar)
    11.jpg

^ Kung ganyang katawan ang goal mo, you need to lift heavy. Get stronger. Kung sinabihan ka ng trainer mo na avoid lifting heavy kasi magmumukhang pang-lalake ang katawan mo, palitan mo na yan. Pineperahan ka lang nyan. You won't get that physique from lifting light weights (like those tiny pink dumbbells) for high number of reps

Kung binebentahan ka rin ng supplements without first giving you a proper diet, palitan mo na yan

Kung puro sa training lang ang focus nya at walang diet advice, palitan mo na yan

Kung ang diet advice nya low carb diet / no rice after 6 PM diet paired with high-intensity cardio, palitan mo na yan

By the way, here is a video of women doing heavy deadlifts and weighted pull ups. They are strong but they still look very attractive for me and they don't look like men

Ito pala ang best exercise for having a sexy butt. Hip Thrusts pioneered by Bret Contreras
  • @nrg500 natawa ako sa comment mo but there is truth to that and I agree.

I'd like to ask ano ba ang plano nya at pinag high reps with light weights nya ko? What body type will come out of this?
  • pmdbpmdb Posts: 34
    From what I see and understand, you already know what you're doing. Why not just skip the trainer? Make your own program, write a journal and track your progress from there. By the looks of it, your trainer thinks you do not know anything about lifting. "Pagurin ko lang siya para kunware solid ang workout niya", "Pinawisan naman na siya ok na yun." I agree that you should tell your trainer that his/her program sucks and you need more intensity not volume. Again, you know your stuff already so why need a trainer.

PS: Ang bilis ng replies pag ikaw gumagawa ng thread no? haha. :DDD
  • Nakasubscribe kasi ako @pmdb buti nga yon at active ang bagong member hahaha!

May idea ka ba kung ano ba yung goal ng pinapagawa nyang work out sakin? I'm actually very curious about this high rep low weight work out.

I felt I needed to get a trainer to jump start working out from the time I got slanted kasi. I was hoping to build up from where I left off but instead made me feel lost and confused.
    Nakasubscribe kasi ako @pmdb buti nga yon at active ang bagong member hahaha!

May idea ka ba kung ano ba yung goal ng pinapagawa nyang work out sakin? I'm actually very curious about this high rep low weight work out.

I felt I needed to get a trainer to jump start working out from the time I got slanted kasi. I was hoping to build up from where I left off but instead made me feel lost and confused.

Haha. You should post more threads para dumami pa members ng site.

Let me ask you, what are your goals? What type of physique do you wish to achieve? Low intensity, high volume... to me that's a program for people with high bf% looking to lose weight and for beginners that are not yet used to weight training. Your trainer probably thinks your a newbie or just one of those chicks na "trip lang" subukan mag gym. I mean, 40 reps? 2 sets? You'd burn more being on the stationary bike than doing that.
    Also, you're new to the gym. Siyempre impresyon nila ay baguhan ka nga talaga sa pagbubuhat. Kaya ganun yung program na ibinigay sa'yo, pang baguhan. Pakitaan mo sila ng deadlifts at squats sa next session mo para malaman nila. haha
  • @pmdb shempre strong! I like stacking up weight and it gives me a lot of happiness being able to deadlift beautifully. Umabot na din ako ng mga 175 na DL. I know it's not that much but in a span of 4 months I worked for that. Also the pictures that @nrg500 sent is something I find attractive but of course that's a lot of discipline in terms of work out plus diet.

Baka naman kasi post holiday body fat yung gusto nyang eradicate sakin. Medyo napabuffet talaga ako nung December. Tao lang! Haha!
    @pmdb shempre strong! I like stacking up weight and it gives me a lot of happiness being able to deadlift beautifully. Umabot na din ako ng mga 175 na DL. I know it's not that much but in a span of 4 months I worked for that. Also the pictures that @nrg500 sent is something I find attractive but of course that's a lot of discipline in terms of work out plus diet.

Baka naman kasi post holiday body fat yung gusto nyang eradicate sakin. Medyo napabuffet talaga ako nung December. Tao lang! Haha!

Keep it up sa progress sa lifts mo. Wag mo hayaan na magfade yung strength mo because of your current program.

Kung fat gusto niya alisin edi i-shorten mo nalang rest periods mo. Waaaaaay better at trimming fat than a high volume low intensity workout. Lipat ka nalang ulit ng gym. Haha
  • @pmdb actually yun nga yung naisip ko pero I tried this gym dahil I didn't want to judge. I said I'd be open minded about it and give it a try. May gym akong tinitingnan e kaso di pa bukas so siguro for the meantime I'll go with the motions with this one until that other one opens up!

Siguro the best way to deal with this situation is to talk to my coach first about possibly changing the program and see how I can salvage our client-trainer relationship. Lol!!!

Kung pwede naman pagusapan why not?
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    Bleh bleh bleh.... Certified or not, your PT doesn't know shit. Based sa kwento mo he's just making you do things na most probably sariling routine nya or routine ng 90% of the population (and puro guys pa). Did he even made an assessment or run a some tests?

My clients are mostly girls and we communicate. Most of them had the same experience kagaya ng sayo na unsatisfied sa mga PT nila (galing pa man din sa high end gyms). Any PT can run a program basta magaling magsalita, anyone can teach DL, squats etc. Anyone can teach you technical stuff... Hello Google! LoL

Be careful next time....
  • @badass_vinch on a personal experience, it's difficult for me to find a knowledgeable coach. Marami kasing sticking to copy paste routine programs. Salamat sa .02
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    Magsarli ka muna for the mean time. Observe and study the people around you. Wala naman masama mag experiment ka muna with some new things on your own. Besides baka nga copy paste lang don maman ituturo sayo e di ikaw nalang mag google haha

Make a journal. Log your shit, lay out your plan/goals at baka may matutunan ka dito while hindi pa full blast ang training mo. Bumibisita din minsan yung ibang ladies dito baka machamahan mo sila.
  • nrg500nrg500 Posts: 1,233
    @ shesstonefox

Ano ba itsura ng trainer mo ? Lifting stats ? Mukha ba syang nagbubuhat ?

Gawa ka ng journal.
    http://pinoybodybuilding.com/Forum-Personal-Journals

Post ka ng current training program mo at video ng mga lifts mo.

Post ka rin ng pics sa journal mo para mas marami agad ang mag-advise. he he. Joke. Di naman manyakis mga male members dito. Talagang nakaiintriga lang pag may female member na serious about weight lifting
  • @nrg500 haha! Weight lifting actually started my appreciation in gym training. Nung narealize kong kaya kong lumakas.

My current trainer has a big upper body but looks like he's lacking in leg days. I feel like he's aesthetically okay sa upper body but lacks strength but that's just how I feel.
  • @pmdb ginawa ko to sa Sky Fitness sa Podium dati dahil nainis ako sa beginner work out na binigay nila sakin. They didn't want to believe I could do it. Nagulat sila.

Also pansin ko din nung naggym ako first time the coach judged me. He thought I was lazy. I proved him wrong though during the work out.

I feel there's a rampant judgement in women who go to the gym with some trainers. Siguro sanay sila sa weak or maarte or cardio bunnies which in effect gives me a bad rap in their eyes. Nakakabadtrip.
  • riddlerriddler Posts: 1,018
    I think you are better off yourself than with your trainer. Basing on your posts, you seem to be knowledgeable enough already. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Now, if what you are looking for a trainer is the accountability part, go with @badass_vinch advise, make a journal, post your training/nutrition related stuffs and I'm pretty sure the guys around here will keep you accountable in relation to your goals. *wink*
    Walang forever kaya makipag break-up ka na diyan sa coach mo. Why would he make a program in the first place without consulting his client? Like the guys said, you'll be way better on your own. If you feel like doing more sets, you could. If you feel like lifting heavier, you also could. No restrictions. No Johnny Bravo breathing down your neck.