Adding a hypertrophy day to 5x5 SL program

PinoyBB newb here and 1st post!
1 month into SL 5x5 and eto and stats ko

105 lbs bench press
80 lbs ohp
80 lbs row
165 lbs deadlift 1x5
140 lbs squat

Question ko lang is worth it ba magdagdag ng hypertrophy day for chest and shoulders?Sobrang lacking in size kasi ung chest ko compared to my legs and every week kasi may isang set ako bench or or ohp na fail kasi mahirap din magdagdag ng weight sa lifts mo habang may caloric deficit. Balak ko magdagdag ng mga eto sa separate na day:

Farmer's walk 3 sets of 1 min walk
Flat DB bench 3x12
Incline DB bench 3x12
Flat BB bench 6x6
DB ohp 6x6

Anything else na pwede ko madagdag? Gusto ko sana cables pero wala akong alam na exercise dun. Thanks!

Comments

• I'm not really that familiar with Mehdi's (it's his right?) 5x5 program, but i'm pretty experienced with the hybrid powerbuilding program, so I'll give my two cents. While compound work is great, why not incorporate a couple of isolation work in the mix. Some sets of flys or laterals would break the monotony of heavy lifting, and would further exhaust your muscles without banging your joints too much. That said, better keep it at the end of your workout, and stick to sets of 8 or higher
  • BroScience wrote:
    I'm not really that familiar with Mehdi's (it's his right?) 5x5 program, but i'm pretty experienced with the hybrid powerbuilding program, so I'll give my two cents. While compound work is great, why not incorporate a couple of isolation work in the mix. Some sets of flys or laterals would break the monotony of heavy lifting, and would further exhaust your muscles without banging your joints too much. That said, better keep it at the end of your workout, and stick to sets of 8 or higher

So magdadagdag lang ako sa dulo kung kaya ko pa? Priority ko parin ung strength syempre pero nalilito ako kung ano uunahin strength o aesthetics haha thanks po! I'll look more into powerbuilding di ko alam na may ganyan na pala.
  • The improvement in lifts on Sl 5x5 / SS are mostly due to training your nervous system, no one can build muscle that fast. Look at the monthly improvement of intermediate / advanced lifters and you'll see that it's a lot less than what a beginner does. That's because they're at the stage where their nervous system is used to it and are actually building muscle.

So what does all that have to do with you? Simply put, you finish 5x5 program till you grow out of it so that when you go to hypertrophy programs you'll do so with heavier weights. Doing so gets better result than if you start out immediately at a hypertrophy program with less weight. As a lot of people say, milk your beginner gains.

Also, if you read the Starting Strength FAQ, it explains that you can do assistance exercises after the 3 lifts, but do so only if it doesn't impair your next workout. As in if you do it and you end up so sore that you can't do your next workout properly, it's better that you don't do the assistance exercises yet.