Calling guys who started out as skinny, I need a little with my program

Hi All,

Just wanted to make sure that im doing the right program for my workout. I'm skinny, so it's really a challenge to look for the right routine since most of my pals that goes to gym eh nagsimula ng chubby or mataba. So I searched through the net for an effective program and found this, please tell me what you think of it or kung may ma ssuggest kayo: 
[font=ProximaNovaReg, Arial, sans-serif]
[font=ProximaNovaReg, ProximaNova, Arial, sans-serif]* = perform proper warm-up sets for these exercised[/font]
ar.jpg Weeks 1-8
Upper/Lower Split
[/font]
    MondayUpper Body Day - (90-120s rest between sets)
  • Flat BB Bench Press/Incline DB Bench Press - 3 x 8-12*
  • WG Pullups (or WG Lat Pulldown)/ DB Rows - 3 x 8-12*
  • DB Standing Shoulder Press/BB Military Press - 3 x 8-12
  • BB CG Bench Press/DB Lying Tricep Extensions - 2 x 8-12
  • DB Bicep Curls/DB Incline Bicep Curls - 2 x 8-12
FridayLower Body Day - (90-120s rest between sets)
  • BB Back Squats/BB Front Squats - 3 x 8-12*
  • BB Stiff Legged Deadlifts/Hyperextensions - 3 x 8-12
  • DB Lunges/BB Lunges - 3 x 8-12*
  • BB Standing Calf Raises/Machine Seated Calf Raises - 2 x 8-12
  • Weighted Crunches/Weighted Twisted Crunches - 2 x 8-12
Comments:This split should get you started out nicely. The idea of this format is to get you familiar with all the main exercises and weight training in general as well as giving you plenty of time to recover from your workouts, so you can start making gains straight away, instead of overtraining and making no progress.All exercises are performed in the 8-12 repetition range, as it allows you to work with weights which you can develop good form with, as well as being in a range promoting hypertrophy.So the idea is you start of with a weight you can use for 8 repetitions, work up to doing 12 repetitions with that weight and then increase the weight until you can only perform 8, continue this cycle.This way you will be achieving progressive overload through increasing repetitions and increasing resistance.
The full article can be found here : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw1.htm

Thanks

Comments

• I would suggest you go for the Starting Strength program. It's been around a long time and plenty of people have reported success with it. Except do rows instead of power clean unless you have a coach that can teach you that properly. For ectomorphs (skinny people) it's best to use compound exercises and keep the workout to an hour or less. I need to do a bit of definitions first, there a 3 types of muscle fibers, fast twitch (strong, explosive, but low endurance), slow twitch (not much power, but high endurance), and the third one which is between the two. It's only the fast twitch that grows, which is why you see athletes with explosive movements in their sports having bigger bodies than athletes in purely endurance sports like marathons. Your workout also needs to be short but with heavy weights to activate the fast twitch muscles. And this is basically what starting strength does , only 3 exercises per workout, but that already takes an hour. It feels too easy at first though and a lot of people end up being impatient and wanting to switch to a different workout. Done properly, it's all you need till you can bench press your body weight, squat 1.25-1.5 x bodyweight, and deadlift 1.5-2 x bodyweight, which should take less than a year (a lot faster than other workouts).

Second, workouts don't make you big, eating does. Workouts only provide the catalyst to make your body grow, the muscle has to be built from something. And that something is the food you take. Make sure you eat a balanced diet and get enough protein each day. You'll have to eat more than your body needs to be able to build muscle, but not too much because you'll end up accumulating fat as well. Bodybuilders build muscle at about half a pound a week. Beginners exceed this because the body wants you to have a more normal physique instead of being skinny. Advanced bodybuilders gain muscle less than half a pound a week because they're already pushing their body to the limit. Gaining about a pound a week in weight should be fine when starting out.

Third, you need rest. It takes time for the muscle to grow. Not getting enough sleep prevents muscle growth. Working out too often also prevents it. The rest days are needed.

You need all three to get results from your workout. If you lack food, you won't grow and you're just sweating on workouts for nothing. If you lack workout or rest, you'll just get fat.
  • cramnhoj wrote:
    I would suggest you go for the Starting Strength program.  It's been around a long time and plenty of people have reported success with it.  Except do rows instead of power clean unless you have a coach that can teach you that properly.  For ectomorphs (skinny people) it's best to use compound exercises and keep the workout to an hour or less.  I need to do a bit of definitions first, there a 3 types of muscle fibers, fast twitch (strong, explosive, but low endurance), slow twitch (not much power, but high endurance), and the third one which is between the two.  It's only the fast twitch that grows, which is why you see athletes with explosive movements in their sports having bigger bodies than athletes in purely endurance sports like marathons.  Your workout also needs to be short but with heavy weights to activate the fast twitch muscles.  And this is basically what starting strength does , only 3 exercises per workout, but that already takes an hour.  It feels too easy at first though and a lot of people end up being impatient and wanting to switch to a different workout.  Done properly, it's all you need till you can bench press your body weight, squat 1.25-1.5 x bodyweight, and deadlift 1.5-2 x bodyweight, which should take less than a year (a lot faster than other workouts).

Second, workouts don't make you big, eating does.  Workouts only provide the catalyst to make your body grow, the muscle has to be built from something.  And that something is the food you take.  Make sure you eat a balanced diet and get enough protein each day.  You'll have to eat more than your body needs to be able to build muscle, but not too much because you'll end up accumulating fat as well.  Bodybuilders build muscle at about half a pound a week.  Beginners exceed this because the body wants you to have a more normal physique instead of being skinny.  Advanced bodybuilders gain muscle less than half a pound a week because they're already pushing their body to the limit.  Gaining about a pound a week in weight should be fine when starting out.

Third, you need rest.  It takes time for the muscle to grow.  Not getting enough sleep prevents muscle growth.  Working out too often also prevents it.  The rest days are needed.

You need all three to get results from your workout.  If you lack food, you won't grow and you're just sweating on workouts for nothing.  If you lack workout or rest, you'll just get fat.

Well said bro