Why Guys in Prison are Jacked and Strong

http://www.elitefts.com/education/motivation/kentucky-strong-prison-strong/

So there you have it—straight from the mouth of someone who’s done the time on how he trained in prison. I’m sure all prisons are different, but this was his experience. I had some big take-home points, some of which were unspoken, after talking with him:

Training in prison is for self-defense and protection first and foremost. It’s life or death. Life or death—that’s more serious than a powerlifting meet, Strongman competition, or even setting a record. That’s some motivation in and of itself. The motivation to live may be the strongest motivator of all.

Because they didn't have any fancy equipment, they couldn’t get distracted from the basics—the squat, bench press, and deadlift.

Training six days a week for two hours at a time may seem like too much or “overtraining.” It probably would be for most people, but keep in mind that these guys have the other 22 hours of the day to “recover.” They eat, sleep, and train. That’s it. Maybe some of those out in the real world who are afraid of “overtraining” just don’t want to work hard.

They don’t have 1,000 different training programs or nutrition programs to choose from. All they know is to train hard and eat a lot of food. They have a limited number of exercise options and food options. It isn't rocket science. The basics and food work.

Supplements aren’t 100 percent necessary to get big and strong.

Training partners can definitely help motivate and push you, especially when there's competition between you.

The biggest thing that stood out to me is that if you want it bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen. Even if everything is lined up perfectly, make it happen.