straight-edge-way-of-life

Straight-Edge

Comments

• I've been going to the gym for 3 straight months now. Before this, all I cared about was my band and my music. And then I realized I need to make some changes. There has been a lot of improvements in the past 3 months not just on my physical aspect but most importantly on my mental state of being.

The pitfalls of being an aspiring musician is to fall into a false sense of coolness. Wherein you try your best to be an individual thinking that it is the coolest thing in the world yet unknowingly you become part of a continuous cycle of imitation and bad decision.

This is my story..
  • -Pushing Gains-

Woke up at 3 pm. Had a quick snack (oatmeal, banana and coffee). Then went to the gym. Warmed up and stretched for 5-10 mins then started my routine. As I was setting up the Olympic bar, one of guys in the gym asked me "Why do you always do SQUATS?" So I told him, "I always start with SQUATS".

I'm a big believer that SQUATS is the king of gym exercises. It amazed me that with just a simple movement it can activate your whole body and push it to grow.

First time I heard of SQUATS, it was like an urban legend in the gym. A number of them were telling me that It was the best for getting maximum gains but it can be dangerous to your back if done incorrectly. Now this is just a really small gym (props to kuya Joey!) so there's not a lot of people doing SQUATS. But then, I had a chance to talk to some of the older guys who introduce me to the 5X5 routine and that's when I learned how to do SQUATS.

When I first started learning how to properly SQUAT, I had a few bad habits that I needed to unlearn. The biggest was the curving of the back. For some people (like me) the down phase of the movement can be quite unnatural which causes the back to curve . I remedied this by first, keeping my form in check; second, pushing my chest out; and third, by making sure that my elbows are not flailing backwards. Those three things really change the way I perform SQUATS.

Now, I understand that whatever that applies to me, may or may not be effective to others. And I am not a trained professional when it comes to this so please, to anyone reading this: Please do not take this as an advised because I am not in the position to give one.
  • Emman1986Emman1986 Posts: 1,819
    welcome brad! sa loob ng 3 months at yan ang stats mo, malakas ka bro ;)

good luck sa goal and keep on squating..
  • rtravino29rtravino29 Posts: 1,549
    welcome brah!

The biggest was the curving of the back. For some people (like me) the down phase of the movement can be quite unnatural which causes the back to curve . I remedied this by first, keeping my form in check; second, pushing my chest out; and third, by making sure that my elbows are not flailing backwards. Those three things really change the way I perform SQUATS.

what do you mean by flailing bro? hehe! IMO, pushing / keeping your chest out ( as well as keeping your back tight ) will keep out your back from curving. Also, this is one of the basic fundamentals on executing the squat exercise properly.
    A number of them were telling me that It was the best for getting maximum gains but it can be dangerous to your back if done incorrectly.

definitely true ( together with bench press and deadlift ) if you want to gain muscle mass in a short period of time, master this BIG 3, and your good to go. The reason for that is because this are all compound exercise, it hits multiple muscle group in a single exercise / movement.
  • -Anniversary-

No workout for today. It was supposed to be a regular day for me. But lo and behold the gym is close. Alas, it's the gym's anniversary today. So to everyone from "J n J" Happy 5th Anniversary!.

I was supposed to write a litany about drinking and how people get sidetrack easily with quick fun. But I decided against it. TO EACH HIS OWN.

end.

@Emman1986, thanks brother. I'm not sure about strength coz honestly I have no one to compare. Besides, most of the guys in the gym look at me funny coz I'm the only one doing squats and deadlifts.

@rtravino29, thanks for the inputs. Flailing. Well, when I started squatting I tend to push my elbows backward. I think a video can help me explain better check this out:
  • -Start Over-

It's been 3 months since I started going to the gym and I've learned a lot and improved a lot since then. That's 12 weeks of continuous training and it has given me gains that I hardly thought possible. Yet I have not reached my peak. I have been going over a few articles here to see if I can change or update my routine but the number of possibilities staggers me.

This is where I need your help guys. Right now my goal is to become big. If you guys can give me a few pointers It would be highly appreciated.
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    erwinbrion wrote:
    "...I have been going over a few articles here to see if I can change or update my routine but the number of possibilities staggers me.

This is where I need your help guys. Right now my goal is to become big. If you guys can give me a few pointers It would be highly appreciated."

Relay your current program.
    , thanks for the inputs. Flailing. Well, when I started squatting I tend to push my elbows backward. I think a video can help me explain better check this out:

the vid shows an individual doing a high bar squat (normal to close stance), but if you will be doing a low bar / hybrid squat, flailing the elbow is needed to make a shelf for the bar. :)

whatever works for you brah, what works for us might not work for you and vice versa, as long as you're comfortable with the squat your into, your good to go :)
  • Core wrote:
    erwinbrion wrote:
    "...I have been going over a few articles here to see if I can change or update my routine but the number of possibilities staggers me.

This is where I need your help guys. Right now my goal is to become big. If you guys can give me a few pointers It would be highly appreciated."

Relay your current program.

@Core, thanks brother. Right now I'm using a modified 5X5:

Monday
    Squats
    chest
    triceps

Tuesday/Thursday
    calves / abs

Wednesday
    Squats
    DL
    chins / pullups
    biceps

Friday
    Squats
    shoulders
    triceps
    rtravino29 wrote:
    , thanks for the inputs. Flailing. Well, when I started squatting I tend to push my elbows backward. I think a video can help me explain better check this out:

the vid shows an individual doing a high bar squat (normal to close stance), but if you will be doing a low bar / hybrid squat, flailing the elbow is needed to make a shelf for the bar. :)

whatever works for you brah, what works for us might not work for you and vice versa, as long as you're comfortable with the squat your into, your good to go :)

@rtravino29, thanks brother. haven't tried the low bar squat yet.
  • -Monday Madness--

Just to change things up a bit. I decided to start the week with Squats/Back combo. And to add more flavor I added another routine for the back and biceps.

Squats (deloaded) 40x5 50x5 60x5 70x5 80x5
    Chin ups (bw) 5X5
    DL (deloaded) 50x5x5
    Bent Rows 50x5 60x5 70x5 80x5 90x5
    Dumbbell Pull Over 50x8x3
    Ez bar curl 40x8x3
    Two handed Hammer Curls 20x8x3
    Reverse cable curls 40x8x3

15 mins abs routine

I have added a picture I took earlier after my wo.
    1195oip.jpgHere's another one. Sorry for the resolution, my phone's camera sucks.

current weight: 155lbs

2zhh8uh.jpg
    erwinbrion wrote:
    Right now I'm using a modified 5X5:

Monday
    Squats
    chest <
    triceps <

Tuesday/Thursday
    calves / abs <

Wednesday
    Squats
    DL
    chins / pullups
    biceps <

Friday
    Squats
    shoulders <
    triceps <

What exactly are the exercises involved in those muscle groups?
  • @Core, thanks brother. here's the breakdown.
    Monday
    bench press
    decline bp
    dips
    skull crushers
    triceps pushdown

Tuesday/Thursday
    Barbell Seated Calf Raise
    Smith machine standing calf raise
    15 - 20 mins of abs (mostly crunches and wood chopped)

Wednesday
    Standing bb bicep curl
    Hammer curl
    reverse curl

Friday
    Military Press
    Dumbbell Side Laterals
    Rear Dumbbell Raise
    same triceps as monday
    erwinbrion wrote:

Monday
    Squats <
    chest
    triceps

Tuesday/Thursday
    calves / abs

Wednesday
    Squats <
    DL
    chins / pullups
    biceps

Friday
    Squats <
    shoulders
    triceps

What's your plan on these 'squats'?
  • @Core, thanks brother. Honestly I don't really know. Right now I'm just maxing them out - adding 10 lbs almost every session. As of today, I've raise my PR to 90 lbs.
    you're squatting 3x a week?SL 5x5 ( modified) bro?
    erwinbrion wrote:

Monday
    Squats <
    chest
    triceps

Tuesday/Thursday
    calves / abs

Wednesday
    Squats <
    DL
    chins / pullups
    biceps

Friday
    Squats <
    shoulders
    triceps

Are you lifting on all of these in max-effort? Or the subject difficulty of these Squats of each days varies?
  • @rtravino29, thanks brother. Yes SL5x5 but I modified it a bit.

@ Core , thanks brother. That's a good question. I always stick to what my program dictates. So If I can't complete a set I deload back to my previous PR then work my way up again. But as of now, I'm able to raise it at least 10 lbs every week.
  • -back-streets-back monday jam-

Squats 50 1x5 60 1x5 70 1x5 80 1x5 90 1x5
    DL 100 1x5 150 1x5
    chin ups BW 5x5
    Seated Row 80 5x5
    Standing Bicep Curl (EZ bar) 50 3x8
    Incline Bicep Curl 25 3x8
    Reverse Cable Curl 50 3x8

10 mins Abs routine
  • -late entered Wednesday-

Squats 60 5x1 70 5x1 80 5x1 90 5x1 100 5x1
    BP 90 5x1 100 5x1 110 5x1 120 5x1 130 5x1
    Decline BP 90 5x1 100 5x1 110 5x1 120 5x1
    Skull crushers 40 8x3
    triceps pushdown 60 8x3

5 mins abs routine
  • Minor Threat!
    Hi man! Good luck sa fitness goals! Nakakatelate ako kasi bago pa ang lahat ang inaatupag ko lang ay going to shows and writing a zine and trying to make my band work.

Bigla ako na excite nung may nakita akong SXE related post. Kala ko normal preppy guy lang na ginagamit yung "straight edge" na tag kahit di naman nakakapag associate sa counter-culture. So ano pinapakingan mo? Youth crew stuff like YoT, Gorilla Biscuits? Mga Earth Crisis? Ano yung name ng band mo?
    erwinbrion wrote:
    Right now my goal is to become big. If you guys can give me a few pointers It would be highly appreciated.
    [align=center][size=large]Modified SL 5x5[/size][/align][align=center]'CTRL + F', then type 'The Plan' to jump to the final output.[/align]» [size=large]SUNDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]
    » [size=large]MONDAY[/size] | [size=large]LEGS[/size] [size=large]CHEST[/size] [size=large]TRICEPS[/size]
    • High Bar Squats
    • Flat Barbell Bench Press
    • Decline Barbell Bench Press
    • Dips
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs
    » [size=large]TUESDAY[/size] | [size=large]CALVES[/size] [size=large]ABS[/size]
    • Barbell Seated Calf Raise
    • Smith Machine Standing Calf Raise
    • 15 - 20mins Abdominal exercises (*mostly Crunches and Wood Chopped)
    » [size=large]WEDNESDAY[/size] | [size=large]LEGS[/size] [size=large]BACK[/size] [size=large]BICEPS[/size]
    • High Bar Squats
    • Conventional Deadlifts
    • Chin-ups | Pull-ups
    • Standing Barbell Curls (EZ bar)
    • Hammer Curls
    • Reverse Cable Curls
    » [size=large]THURSDAY[/size] | [size=large]CALVES[/size] [size=large]ABS[/size]
    » [size=large]FRIDAY[/size] | [size=large]LEGS[/size] [size=large]DELTS[/size] [size=large]TRICEPS[/size]
    • High Bar Squats
    • Military Press
    • Dumbbell Side Laterals
    • Rear Dumbbell Raises
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs
    » [size=large]SATURDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]"Are you lifting on all of these (Squats) in max-effort? Or the subject difficulty of these Squats of each days varies?"
    erwinbrion wrote:
    I always stick to what my program dictates. So If I can't complete a set I deload back to my previous PR then work my way up again. But as of now, I'm able to raise it at least 10 lbs every week.

What I mean by, "are you lifting 'HEAVY' (maximum effort) or the subject difficulty for each days varies ?" was that, if we consider you lifting 'HEAVY' on all three days that consists the Squat, ...

Meaning, you're lifting around 80-85% of 5RM, which in this case...
    erwinbrion wrote:
    As of today (November 1, 2014) , I've raise my PR to 90 lbs.

So you're probably on a 100 pound barbell right now.

...would you be still be able to lift effectively for the succeeding exercises of each of those days? Of do you get exhausted and lack the energy to lift the next weights you think you supposed to lift during that day?» [size=large]SUNDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]
    » [size=large]MONDAY[/size] | [size=large]LEGS[/size] [size=large]CHEST[/size] [size=large]TRICEPS[/size]
    • High Bar Squats [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Dips
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs

» [size=large]WEDNESDAY[/size] | [size=large]LEGS[/size] [size=large]BACK[/size] [size=large]BICEPS[/size]
    • Conventional Deadlifts
    • Chin-ups | Pull-ups
    • Hammer Curls
    • Reverse Cable Curls
    » [size=large]THURSDAY[/size] | [size=large]CALVES[/size] [size=large]ABS[/size]

» [size=large]FRIDAY[/size] | [size=large]LEGS[/size] [size=large]DELTS[/size] [size=large]TRICEPS[/size]
    • Military Press
    • Dumbbell Side Laterals
    • Rear Dumbbell Raises
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs
    » [size=large]SATURDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]For the sake of lifting effectively for those days (to put much all effort the exercises that hits the rest of the muscle groups), you could have a variation of subject difficulty on the Squats of each of those days. In this case...» [size=large]SUNDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]
    • High Bar Squats [size=x-small][LIGHT | HEAVY][/size]
    • Dips
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs

• High Bar Squats [size=x-small][LIGHT - 85% lighter than the 'HEAVY'][/size]
    • Conventional Deadlifts
    • Chin-ups | Pull-ups
    • Hammer Curls
    • Reverse Cable Curls

• Military Press
    • Dumbbell Side Laterals
    • Rear Dumbbell Raises
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs
    » [size=large]SATURDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]You can have either the have HEAVY on Monday or Friday, or even alternating on those two days every week, but not both at the same week. If one of those two days was HEAVY, the other must be LIGHT. During those LIGHT days, you consider performing the Squat as a warm-up exercise for that day.

Now, another thing might arise here due to the frequency of the squats all over the week. Since squat, a compound exercise, that is among the three powerlifts or the three big moves/lifts (together with the Bench Press and Deadlift) for it works much of the muscles of the entire body. For that, it's even considered the 'King of the Exercises' by some. [size=x-small](I'm going to stop there, and not try to overrate the squat with the rest of the exercises, especially with comparison with the exercise, Leg Press.)[/size]

[size=x-small](Going back.)[/size] Since you're not only working your muscles during training, but also you micro-tear the other tissues, joints and bones on the way. You also don't want to overwork yourself and burn your CNS (central nervous system) somewhere along the process.

You could reduce the frequency down to twice or once in a week squatting...
    If going to bring it down to two permutations, you could drop the Squats during Wednesday.» [size=large]SUNDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]
    • Dips
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs

• High Bar Squats [size=x-small][LIGHT - 85% lighter than the 'HEAVY'][/size]
    • Conventional Deadlifts
    • Chin-ups | Pull-ups
    • Hammer Curls
    • Reverse Cable Curls

• Military Press
    • Dumbbell Side Laterals
    • Rear Dumbbell Raises
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs
    » [size=large]SATURDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]But if going to bring it to once in a week, you could either do the Squats during Fridays or have it alternating between Monday and Friday on two-week basis. Let's say, you Squat LIGHT on Monday and you do the HEAVY of Friday, then vice versa the next, then repeat thereafter.

If you based on having the HEAVY Squats on Friday, you might as well drop the Thursday WO, to give your body the adequate time to rest after some taxing HEAVY WO from deadlifts that happened during Wednesday. Since you also work your core on deadlift pulls. [size=x-small](Actually, you also work your core indirectly during the Squat and Standing Presses. That's why we reduce the frequency for that muscle group recover and grow (in terms of abdominal strength).)[/size]

For the Calves WOs, [size=x-small](to be able to hit the calves twice a week)[/size] you could transfer it on Friday on the end of the WO, and drop the Triceps WO, since you also hit those muscles when you do the Presses of that day. Notice I didn't move the Calves WO prior the Delts WO, since you still be needing your legs performing the other exercises that require you on a standing position.» [size=large]SUNDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]
    • Dips
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs
    » [size=large]WEDNESDAY[/size] | [size=large]BACK[/size] [size=large]BICEPS[/size]
    • Conventional Deadlifts [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size] | Sumo Deadlifts [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Chin-ups | Pull-ups
    • Hammer Curls
    • Reverse Cable Curls
    » [size=large]THURSDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]
    » [size=large]FRIDAY[/size] | [size=large]LEGS[/size] [size=large]DELTS[/size] [size=large]TRICEPS[/size] [size=large]CALVES[/size]
    • Military Press
    • Dumbbell Side Laterals
    • Rear Dumbbell Raises
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs
    » [size=large]SATURDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]For the Chest WO that happened during the Monday, you could either choose from Flat or Decline Barbell Bench Press [size=x-small](since both hit the same muscle fibers and being the other, the decline, with comparison to flat, you could lift heavier due to leverage.)[/size] and succeeded with Incline Dumbbell Bench Press.» [size=large]SUNDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]
    • Flat Barbell Bench Press | Decline Barbell Bench Press
    • Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
    • Dips
    • Skull Crushers
    • Triceps Push Downs
    [*]Barbell Seated Calf Raise
    [*]Smith Machine Standing Calf Raise
    [*]15 - 20mins Abdominal exercises (*mostly Crunches and Wood Chopped)

» [size=large]WEDNESDAY[/size] | [size=large]BACK[/size] [size=large]BICEPS[/size]
    [*]Conventional Deadlifts [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    [*]Chin-ups | Pull-ups
    [*]Standing Barbell Curls (EZ bar)
    [*]Hammer Curls
    [*]Reverse Cable Curls

» [size=large]FRIDAY[/size] | [size=large]LEGS[/size] [size=large]DELTS[/size] [size=large]CALVES[/size]
    [*]High Bar Squats [size=x-small][LIGHT | HEAVY][/size]
    [*]Military Press
    [*]Dumbbell Side Laterals
    [*]Rear Dumbbell Raises

» [size=large]SATURDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]For the Wednesday, with the Back WO, you could also try performing the Sumo Deadlifts to give emphasis to your hamstrings. You could also switch the Pull-ups for the Chin-ups since, the Chin-ups require more bicep recruitment compared to Pull-ups. What you need is more 'lat' recruitment.

For the Biceps WO, since both targets the same muscle fiber—Brachioradialis—you could either from the Hammer Curls or Reverse Cable Curls.» [size=large]SUNDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]
    [*]Flat Barbell Bench Press
    [*]Decline Barbell Bench Press
    [*]Dips
    [*]Skull Crushers
    [*]Triceps Push Downs

[*]15 - 20mins Abdominal exercises (*mostly Crunches and Wood Chopped)

• Conventional Deadlifts [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size] | Sumo Deadlifts [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Chin-ups | Pull-ups
    • Hammer Curls | Reverse Cable Curls
    » [size=large]FRIDAY[/size] | [size=large]LEGS[/size] [size=large]DELTS[/size] [size=large]CALVES[/size]
    [*]Military Press
    [*]Dumbbell Side Laterals
    [*]Rear Dumbbell Raises

» [size=large]SATURDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]We then allocate the sets and reps according to the WO logs you posted in your journal so far, [size=x-small](straight-edge-way-of-life Journal posts #11, #19, #20)[/size] and also with the Strong Lift 5x5...[size=x-small][sets x reps][/size]

» [size=large]SUNDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]
    • High Bar Squats - [size=x-small][LIGHT] |[/size] 5 x 5 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Flat Barbell Bench Press - 5 x 5 | Decline Barbell Bench Press - 5 x 5
    • Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
    • Dips
    • Skull Crushers - 3 x 8
    • Triceps Push Downs - 3 x 8
    • Conventional Deadlifts - 5 x 5 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size] | Sumo Deadlifts [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Pull-ups - 5 x 5
    • Standing Barbell Curls (EZ bar) - 3 x 8
    • Hammer Curls - 3 x 8 | Reverse Cable Curls - 3 x 8
    • High Bar Squats - [size=x-small][LIGHT] |[/size] 5 x 5 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Military Press - 5 x 5
    • Dumbbell Side Laterals
    • Rear Dumbbell Raises
    » [size=large]SATURDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]Then I'll allocate the sets and repetitions for the rest according to my preference...

[size=x-small](*Notice the difference between the sets of the Tuesday Calves WO and the Thursday Calves WO. This is to give emphasis on what calf muscle fibers to be trained on a particular day.)[/size]

[size=x-small](**I also changed the maximum number of repetitions of the Pull-ups to failure.)[/size][size=x-small][sets x reps][/size]

• High Bar Squats - 3 x 5 [size=x-small][LIGHT] |[/size] 5 x 5 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Flat Barbell Bench Press - 5 x 5 | Decline Barbell Bench Press - 5 x 5
    • Incline Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 x 4-6
    • Dips - 3 x Failure
    • Skull Crushers - 3 x 8
    • Triceps Push Downs - 3 x 8
    • Barbell Seated Calf Raise - 3 x 8-10
    • Smith Machine Standing Calf Raise - 2 x 10
    • Conventional Deadlifts - 5 x 5 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size] | Sumo Deadlifts [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Pull-ups - 5 x Failure
    • Standing Barbell Curls (EZ bar) - 3 x 8
    • Hammer Curls - 3 x 8 | Reverse Cable Curls - 3 x 8
    • High Bar Squats - 3 x 5 [size=x-small][LIGHT] |[/size] 5 x 5 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Military Press - 5 x 5
    • Dumbbell Side Laterals - 2 x 8-12
    • Rear Dumbbell Raises - 2-3 x 8-10
    • Barbell Seated Calf Raise - 2 x 10
    • Smith Machine Standing Calf Raise - 3 x 8-10
    » [size=large]SATURDAY[/size] | [size=large]REST[/size]Now we put the subject difficulty of each exercise; whether HEAVY, MODERATE, LIGHT or in between...[align=center]-█ █—–-[size=large]THE PLAN[/size]-–—█ █-[/align][size=x-small][sets x reps][/size]

• Flat Barbell Bench Press - 5 x 5 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size] | Decline Barbell Bench Press - 5 x 5 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Incline Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 x 4-6 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Dips - 3 x Failure [size=x-small][BODYWEIGHT][/size]
    • Skull Crushers - 3 x 8 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Triceps Push Downs - 3 x 8 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Barbell Seated Calf Raise - 3 x 8-10 [size=x-small][MODERATE - HEAVY][/size]
    • Smith Machine Standing Calf Raise - 2 x 10 - [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Pull-ups - 5 x Failure [size=x-small][BODYWEIGHT][/size]
    • Standing Barbell Curls (EZ bar) - 3 x 8 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Hammer Curls - 3 x 8 | Reverse Cable Curls - 3 x 8 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Military Press - 5 x 5 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Dumbbell Side Laterals - 2 x 8-12 [size=x-small][MODERATE - HEAVY][/size]
    • Rear Dumbbell Raises - 2-3 x 8-10 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    • Barbell Seated Calf Raise - 2 x 10 [size=x-small][MODERATE - HEAVY][/size]
    • Smith Machine Standing Calf Raise - 3 x 8-10 [size=x-small][HEAVY][/size]
    I suggest you perform those with sets and repetitions of '5 x 5' on pyramid-style training.
  • Minor Threat!
    Hi man! Good luck sa fitness goals! Nakakatelate ako kasi bago pa ang lahat ang inaatupag ko lang ay going to shows and writing a zine and trying to make my band work.

Bigla ako na excite nung may nakita akong SXE related post. Kala ko normal preppy guy lang na ginagamit yung "straight edge" na tag kahit di naman nakakapag associate sa counter-culture. So ano pinapakingan mo? Youth crew stuff like YoT, Gorilla Biscuits? Mga Earth Crisis? Ano yung name ng band mo?

Oi brother..

Thanks. Most of my influences talaga comes from oi/ska/punk bands nag evolve na lang to sXe after listening to Minor Threat and 7 Seconds. Right now, yes.. YoT, Gorilla Biscuit, SSD and a lot more. Pero I'm more of an omnivore pagdating sa music kaya kung ano-ano din pinapakinggan ko. Yung previous band, madami na kasi. Used to be with The Tartars, Long Awaited Love Affair (screamo), Nameless, and Titaspunkyrocky.@Core, Thanks brother. Nice workout plan. Will be using it starting Monday. Regarding light and heavy workout days. Have not really thought about it. What I do is I just add weights every wo day and if I don't hit the goal I bring it back down to the previous PR. And yes right now I'm hitting 100 lbs for squats.

Question? I've been having some pains in my right elbow. I have read somewhere in PBB about "tennis elbow". I'm thinking that's probably what I have. Can you recommend a good home remedy for it?@Core, thanks again brother. would you recommend "cutting" by January. coz I'm thinking of doing it by January up to March.
    erwinbrion wrote:
    Question? I've been having some pains in my right elbow. I have read somewhere in PBB about "tennis elbow". I'm thinking that's probably what I have. Can you recommend a good home remedy for it?

Depends on whether you can tolerate the pain or not during WOs.
    erwinbrion wrote:
    would you recommend "cutting" by January. coz I'm thinking of doing it by January up to March.

That would be subjective to ones' preference on goals.
    What's your long-term goal anyway?
  • Core wrote:
    erwinbrion wrote:
    That would be subjective to ones' preference on goals.
    What's your long-term goal anyway?

@Core, thanks. End goal would really be at about 175 - 180 lbs. But with my height, 5'6", I'm not sure if that would work for me. If you have seen my pictures, I lack definition is some areas. So I'm thinking of cutting just for the experience as well as to really see where I'm at.
    You could try to gain your weight up to that range goal by January but you wouldn't like it if you're taking it naturally.
    By the way, what I'm asking for is what look do you want to look like? [size=x-small](as far as stated in your goal in the right panel, you're up for aesthetics.)[/size] That '175-180lb goal' range is more like a short-term goal.
  • Lakas! Ako rin omnivorous. Currently digging Warsaw Pack at Dax Riggs right now! Good luck!
    erwinbrion wrote:
    "... Nice workout plan. Will be using it starting Monday...."

If that's the case, then what days are you planning to do the light and heavy squat?
  • Core wrote:
    erwinbrion wrote:
    "... Nice workout plan. Will be using it starting Monday...."

If that's the case, then what days are you planning to do the light and heavy squat?

Monday for heavy then Friday for light.
    Lakas! Ako rin omnivorous. Currently digging Warsaw Pack at Dax Riggs right now! Good luck!

Thanks, eclectic yung choices mo.. you used to play in a band din di ba?
  • yup yup!
    https://soundcloud.com/goblinwarhead

kabanuan! haha. Discharge. Venom. Motorhead. Bathory. Metallic punk jams! haha.
    Just some tips. Incase you find the Monday WO, taxing, you could reduce the sets for the Triceps WO down to '2'. Also perform the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press on a, more or less, 30º Inclined Bench.