Diarrhea kicked my ass (no pun intended!)

I came down with diarrhea 9 days ago. Started out not so severe - the first 2 days was only like 4-5 trips to the toilet. But then DAYUUMMM - turned into going to the damn toilet like 12-15 fucking times per day! Talk about incapacitating - couldn't go anywhere bcoz had to stay near the damn toliet.lol Along with severe diarrhea, had stomach ache and felt like my gut inside was going into spasms always. I had no other effects - no vomiting, no fever, headache, wala. It came to the point where I was not even eating because I knew whatever I ate would just come back out immediately. Fucked up situation fellas! Anybody want to lose size fast, get severe diarrhea and you will indeed.

I started taking an antibiotic Bactrim on day 2, but it did nothing even after taking it for 6 days. I tried taking Diatabs (Loperamide) to help ease the effects, but it only helped to cut back on the frequency of trips to the toliet from like 15x to 6 or 7x. I've tried to pinpoint exactly where I got this sickness from, but it's hard to know bcoz my son and fiance don't have it - thank God - and we all eat the same foods and drink the same drinks. The only thing I can think of is perhaps I got it at Jolibee when I drank the water there with ice in the glass - not bottled water. But I am just guessing, I really can't say for sure. I never did go to a doctor bcoz I figured I would wait it out for 2 weeks to see if it would go away on it's own.

Anyways, today I feel alot better. No diarrhea yet today and no stomach pain, and I am actually heading to the gym soon. I'm guessing I have lost around 5-7 lbs just from not eating much the past 9 days. Maybe more - we will see.

I would like to ask all of you Filipinos if you have had this happen before, and also how do you go about prevention of this happening? I mean, do you guys/gals only drink bottled water when eating out, or avoid street foods, or whatever? Please enlighten me - salamat. :)

Comments

• CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    I remember there was this time on Chowking when they serve the water on plastic (not disposable ones) and I saw this, I don't know if its dirt/algae/food residue on the bottom of the cup.

Since then I pack my own water jug whenever as possible I go outside. I still take orders on fast food chains if certain occasions requires like family celebrations/social gatherings.

There's another possible contamination you could get drinking soda from a glass bottle. There are instances when the crown gets oxidized and rusts from the inside, and may stain the mouth of the bottle.

Street foods? Certain vendors reuse the cooking oil alot of times, plus most of the foods served on the tray are not covered either on plastic warp or aluminum foil. Exposing the food on the atmosphere of the vicinity. You name it, vehicle smoke, dust, cough... Well, I guess that's one good reason why it tastes good! [size=x-small](Kidding aside.)[/size]
  • BorexxxBorexxx Posts: 167
    Normally.. If water is the culprit, then probably you were hit by amoebiasis.. Lets just hope its not.. Or else, you will now be more vulnerable and might have stomach pains or minor diarrhea once in a while each time you ingest something that is not nice for your system.. This is a fact which I experienced and still experiencing.. Once you have it, it will no longer leave your system.. :( I remember suffering from it for two weeks and I really lost a huge amount of weight.. Roughly 10lbs if my memory serves me right.. That happened around 2007 by the way.
  • MaloyMaloy Posts: 582
    Year 2010 , I had this "severe diarrhea " as well. For a month I endured it , tamad kasi ako pumunta sa doctor. Just like you I was taking anti diarrhea medicines, I am wondering bakit hindi humihinto yung diarrhea ko .

After a month , I was leaving home ... And this feeling of weakness to the point na pakiramdam ko hindi ko na magalaw ang paa ko . I was told by my Mom na it looks as if I am dehydrated . Told her may diarrhea ako for a month na.

My mom and wife brought me to the hospital ... checked my stool .. May amoebiasis na pala ako , 9-10 ang natatndaan ko na rating nung amoeba .

The doctor also told me , sobrang hina na daw ng galaw ng bituka ko, affected by amoeba as well . I was confined , for a week ..

I was out from work for 1 month , nung bumalik ako , hindi na ako masyado marecognize ng mga kaopisina ko ... Hindi ako nagtimbang pero eto ang picture ko before and after .

1. How I prevented it from happening again ? - Pag pumpunta kami sa ibang lugar, etiher mineral water or softdrinks or packed juice like zest- 0 na ang iniinom ko
    2. Kumakain pa ba ko ng street foods? - Yes , bbq ang kinakain ko , kung macoconsider na street food yun . Pero sa kakilala ko na ako bumibili na alam ko na malinis talagang gumawa at lutong luto ...
    3. Ano ang kakaibang kinain ko na natatandaan ko prior ako nagkaron ng amoebiasis na hindi ko na kinakain at iniinom ngayon ? - Umiinom ako ng tap water from fastfoods like chowking, jolibee etc at kumakain ako ng bituka ng manok at yung calamares na inilalako sa kalye.

2kow79.jpg
  • ReneRene Posts: 214
    If there's one sickness I dread getting is diarrhea, aka: "the runs"!!! It just drains all the nutrients out of your muscles. The last episode was from seafood,,,it was probably not handled properly, or allowed to get to warm instead of being on ice. For 3-4 days I was cramping. I only eat fast food from high turn over places. I don't drink water unless it's from a sealed container. Better to be careful than get the runs. Be safe Bros!!!
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    Maloy wrote:
    1. How I prevented it from happening again ? - Pag pumpunta kami sa ibang lugar, etiher mineral water or softdrinks or packed juice like zest- 0 na ang iniinom ko
    2. Kumakain pa ba ko ng street foods? - Yes , bbq ang kinakain ko , kung macoconsider na street food yun . Pero sa kakilala ko na ako bumibili na alam ko na malinis talagang gumawa at lutong luto ...
    3. Ano ang kakaibang kinain ko na natatandaan ko prior ako nagkaron ng amoebiasis na hindi ko na kinakain at iniinom ngayon ? - Umiinom ako ng tap water from fastfoods like chowking, jolibee etc at kumakain ako ng bituka ng manok at yung calamares na inilalako sa kalye.

OT. I like the last two foods you mentioned on #3. Hehehe...
    Pero mas ok sana bro kung iningles mo para hindi ma-reverse nose-bleed si sir @Big Dawg
  • MaloyMaloy Posts: 582
    ^ Yummy sir... Ooops , my miss ...

1. How I prevented it from happening again ? - I ensure to only drink either a. softdrinks b. mineral water c.packed juices every time we travel
    2. Am I still eating streetfoods? - Should you consider bbq a streetfood, then Yes I am. PLease take note though that I only buy from "Trusted" sellers who I know personally ; those who observe quality and cleanliness in preparing and cooking their products. Also I only eat well done BBqs
    3. Possible cause of my amoebiasis ; Unique food/s I ate/drank prior obtaining the disease - I was used to drinking tap water from fastfood chains such as Jolibee, Chowking etc. I also love (YUMYUMYum) eating Grilled chicken intestines as well as a streetfood knowns as "Calamares"

Whew, nosebleed din ako paps @Core
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. Yeah it's going on 2 weeks and I still have it. I guess I picked up some bacteria or parasite and need to go see the doc this week to find out exactly what it is and how to get rid of it.