Older adults: Build muscle and you'll live longer

StannisStannis Posts: 1,377
New UCLA research suggests that the more muscle mass older Americans have, the less likely they are to die prematurely. The findings add to the growing evidence that overall body composition -- and not the widely used body mass index, or BMI -- is a better predictor of all-cause mortality.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140314095102.htm

Comments

• ReneRene Posts: 214
    Thanks for posting Brocheers I'm glad I got into BB, although I was already 58 when I started. Body-buillding is a big part of my life style. keeps me out of the doctors office. It's really cool when the young members at my gym gives me a compliment, makes sweating and pumping worth it:yahoo:
  • OlibOlib Posts: 74
    ^
    Good news for us :)
  • OlibOlib Posts: 74
    The first article is correlating measured muscle mass from a segment of an older (healthy) population and finding out that -- statistically -- those with higher levels (more muscles) had a higher survival (longer lives).
    The second article is about a 70 year old who uses hormone replacement therapy to look shredded. It's not a healthy choice for me, thank you.
  • jmpilongojmpilongo Posts: 208
    decrease of testosterone levels over the years is inevitable, it is a natural part of aging. so some old men who'd want to look young, would resort to hormone replacement therapy. you also have to consider that some have lower test than others or lower than normal. :)