Lifting to Serious Bodybuilding

Hi to all my co-body builders most especially to the respectful moderators.

BOdybuilding makes me feel healthy and confident. My Stress output that turns into a positive motivation and better results for day to day living. TAra! BUhat pa mga kaibigan! :sport:

"Those who might seen my journal from the start, I updated my Workout program from 5 days split to SL5x5 program".

Comments

• allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Welcome bro.

Keep us updated!
  • frappfrivanfrappfrivan Posts: 270
    welcome bro! wata spirit braahhhh
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    Dude those workouts you are doing are marathons. You will grow much more by cutting waaaaaay back on the exercises and increasing your intensity. Stick with the basics and bust ass and grow. ;)
  • ShawndraeShawndrae Posts: 7
    Big Dawg wrote:
    Dude those workouts you are doing are marathons. You will grow much more by cutting waaaaaay back on the exercises and increasing your intensity. Stick with the basics and bust ass and grow. ;)

Thank you sir Big Dawg. I'll follow ur advise going back to the the basic. You let me research and learn about intensity in body building. Will keep you posted for the results.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south5.htm
    Shawndrae wrote:
    Big Dawg wrote:

Thank you sir Big Dawg. I'll follow ur advise going back to the the basic. You let me research and learn about intensity in body building. Will keep you posted for the results.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south5.htm

Bro no need to research intensity. Intensity simply means to give everything you got in a set. Of course I am not talking about warmup sets, but worksets. Going to the point of failure or within 1 rep of failure. Example, you are doing 7 exercises for chest, triceps, etc. There is NO way you could do all that if you are really busting ass on every set. To do so much volume suggests that you are merely pacing yourself - and that builds nothing. Do only 3-4 exercises for chest, back, legs and 2-3 exercises for delts, bi's, tri's . Do only 2-3 worksets per exercise - trust me, if you are indeed busting ass, thats enough. Focus on increasing the weight you use - if you did 120 x 10 last week, then this week try your HARDEST to get 120 x 11, OR 130 x 10. You must always try to do 1 more rep or a few more pounds. That should be the main concern to anyone trying to build muscle, not countless exercises and sets that are comparably easy.

One other topic - I see your rest times between sets are VERY short. How you do a set of squats or leg press and rest only 30 seconds??? That proves that you must not be working hard, bcoz a hard-ass set of squats should have you breathing so much that you would need at LEAST 3 minutes before ready to go again. Point is - increase your rest times so that you CAN bust ass on each set. This is pumping iron, not cardio. ;)
    I will seriously keep in mind to have 3-4 exercises for chest, back, legs and 2-3 exercises for delts, bi's, tri's and only 2-3 worksets per exercise for "pumping iron, not cardio" and 3 minutes rest. Appreciate it sir Dawg. Thank you :)
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    Sir, what's your current split?
    Shawndrae wrote:
    I will seriously keep in mind to have 3-4 exercises for chest, back, legs and 2-3 exercises for delts, bi's, tri's and only 2-3 worksets per exercise for "pumping iron, not cardio" and 3 minutes rest. Appreciate it sir Dawg. Thank you :)

Bro I didn't mean 3 mins as written in stone for all exercises. My point is 30 seconds only is not enough on most basic, compound exercises. Example, one doesn't need to rest as long for db curl compared to squats, one doesn't need to rest as long for skullcrushers compared to deads, etc etc. Know what I mean? Just use common sense bro. Allow yourself enough rest time to recover between sets, and that time depends on the exercise you are doing. It may be only 60-90 seconds for curls, 2-3 mins for bench press, hell maybe up to 5+ mins on that last bust ass set of squats or deads. Those numbers are general guidelines - it all depends on what YOU need to recover to bust ass on the next set.
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - Shoulder/abs/
    Wednesday - Biceps/Chest
    Thursday - Triceps/Back/Legs
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - Bicep/chest
    Sunday - Tricep/Back/Legs

Please suggest kung okay sakin tong current splits ko. Im open to change especially now, lalo't sa advise sakin ni sir dawg to stick with the basics and for increasing the intensity.

I'm like an emplty glass ready to fill all usefull and reliable bodybuilding tips and advices.
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - Shoulder/abs/
    Wednesday - Biceps/Chest
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - Bicep/chest

i dont know how you attack your workouts bro but i agree with big dawg that you should increase intensity (both intensity of load and intensity of effort). i noticed that you train arms alot and you hit back and legs together. This gives me an impression that you're more like pacing than lifting. back and legs are the toughest body parts to train especially if you do deadlift and squats. you have alot of exercises in your routine per body part, given the poundages you lift, if you add like 15-20lbs on them you might not be able to do all those exercises and rest for a few seconds. so that's it, try adding weight and see how it will affect your rep range, rest intervals and exercise choices.

and also, i would suggest you rearrange your split coz training shoulder and chest consecutively will fry your rotator cuffs and elbows then training legs and back together will kill your lower back and compress your spine heavily. that is, if you train heavy.

bi's and tri's get alot of stimulation on pressing and pulling so once a week with 3-4 sets will do.
    Shawndrae wrote:
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - Shoulder/abs/
    Wednesday - Biceps/Chest
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - Bicep/chest

Please suggest kung okay sakin tong current splits ko. Im open to change especially now, lalo't sa advise sakin ni sir dawg to stick with the basics and for increasing the intensity.

I'm like an emplty glass ready to fill all usefull and reliable bodybuilding tips and advices.

I agree with badass_vinch on revamping your split...

1) Never work shoulders or tris the day before chest. Shoulders and tris are involved very much on most chest exercises, so if they are not recovered, your chest workout suffers.

2)Never work bis the day before back. Exact same reason as #1 above.

3) Working tris AND back AND legs in 1 workout is CRAZY! Back and legs are the 2 largest muscles in the body, so why would you work them together - and tris also???

There are many splits you can do that are much better than what you are doing. Read some logs of others to get ideas. In general, heres a few examples:

Example 1
    day 1: legs
    day 2: chest/tri's
    day 3: rest
    day 4: back/bi's
    day 5: shoulders/traps
    day 6: rest
    day 7: rest

Example 2
    day 1: chest/bi's
    day 2: legs
    day 4: shoulders/traps
    day 5: back/tri's
    day 7: rest

Example 3
    day 1: chest
    day 2: back
    day 4: shoulders/traps
    day 5: arms
    day 7: legs
    day 8: rest

As you can see, there are many many possible splits. However, you take note that you will see a pattern - a pattern where bi's is NEVER done the day before back, and tri's/delts are NEVER done the day before chest, and legs and back are NEVER done on consecutive days. Those are just some basic rules. Btw I left out abs as they can be done at your own will.
    I've change my splits to 3x a week goal to 12 weeks. For some change i go for SL 5x5 A and B Fullbody workout. I want to have a solid strength especially in my back for better foundation full body workouts.
    A.
    Squats 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    BB Rows 5x5
    BShrugs
    Skull Crusher with shoulder ext
    Curls
    Core ab workout

B.
    Squat
    Press
    Press
    Deadlift
    BB Row
    Close grip to BP
    Curl
    Core ab workout

Friday 7/26/2013 (week 1) 1st day in perfect body form movements.
    Squats - 110
    Bench Press - 140
    Row - 120
    Deadlift - 180

Some says wag na daw dagdagan ng other exercises sa SL 5x5 program, but other says pwede naman. So, i tried and i feel di naman naubos lakas ko from Squats, BP, Row and DL, kaya tuluyan ko nang isinama sa program ko.

Dati ginagwa ko din Squats and Deadlift but not that serious. i stayed on a certain lbs that i think i can only carry for 3x8. After a year sa patay sundot na pagbubuhat from my previous splits and programs napriority ko lang mga isolations exercises not the compound.

One day rest using this program may seems not enough for me to recover my lowerback muscle from serious back workout. Pero i know makakasanayan din ng katawan ko, i have to eat clean sa abot ng makakaya ko :).

I will keep posted the weekly lbs increase that i can lift using SL 5x5 workout. :yahoo:35ndf7r.jpg
  • wqsxes.jpgAugust 2, 2013
    Squats 120lbs
    Press overhead 100lbs deload to 90lbs (nangatog si tuhod ko na stress ata ako from 120lbs for squats.
    Deadlift 210lbs (hingal to the bone, but feel great)

Sa squats ko okay naman yung starting weight ko from 110lbs. Kaya lang when i reach 120lbs, kaya naman kaya lang una kong nararamdaman yung sakit ng Quad ko sa kanan. Siguro yung form ko kapag inaangat ko na yung barbell, mas naitutulak ko kanan ng paa ko kaya sya na sstress ng husto. Yung rack kasi sa local gym samin permanently nakalagay sa pwesto na walang salamin, di ko tuloy makita sarili ko kung balanse ako sa pagangat. haist :( Ill plan to invest to other gym maybe in anonas, dumaan ako last week after ako mag church. Maganda sya at malawak.