Gym aren't only for Bodybuilders...

by: rrobin

Gym is a place for fitness.A hub or mecca for people who want to get in shape, look good,feel good and later... brag about it.:D Whenever I go there, predominantly I see bodybuilders. They train bodybuilding specific workout that focuses on slow to medium pace repetitions per set. Train with a controlled tempo and greater time under tension. Form/proper routine coupled with Heavy load is the foundation in achieving their goal to gain muscle mass.

As we know, Bodybuilding is pure "cosmetic". They lift weights to achieve an impressive physique. So they train every muscle group on an almost day to day basis to improve the size of their beefs. Others use the cardio machine to try to burn those unwanted fat.

As they go to every station, you see the same pace everytime. It's kinda funny how it looks choreographed and almost at sync'd.

Then there I was butting in. Time for my sport specific strength training,As I join the testosterone filled gym.I could see the annoyed look on their faces as I lift the barbell at a faster/explosive pace(not the conventional pace as bodybuilding). And some maybe criticizing my form as I lift the stack. As I finish every station and move to the next, almost every eyes followed(maybe with a question like What's this fool tryin to do?) Not understanding what I was doing and why am I training like I was on "Meth", an imposing figure approached me. He was a guy with an aesthetic of a bodybuilder with an impressive muscle definition and mass. As he opened his mouth, I could smell that he's going to criticize my movements, and teach me the "correct" form and tempo.

As I've guessed it there it came, a barrage of mentoring bark on the do's and dont's in bodybuilding without even asking what the kind of training im doing. Being a guy that I am, I replied in a soft tone "Strength training po ako ngayon eh"

What the guy doesn't realize, is that Bodybuilding and Strength training is a totally different genre of fitness(BTW im also doing bodybuilding for "looks" factor).

then he replied "Oo nga tol,kaya lang mali yung ginagawa mo"(wtf..what does he know about it?) Maybe he didn't understand, that's why I said nalang "Sport specific po kasi yung ginagawa ko,kasi nag MMA ako." as i expected he didn't even know what MMA means.:D As I go on and continue my training, I can still see that he's utterly confused with what im doing..:)

I finished my training realizing that almost everyone who goes to the gym is training Bodybuilding specific workout..:)

So I want to make a shoutout that "Gym aren't only for Bodybuilders"..:dodgy:

peace...;)

Comments

• nrg500nrg500 Posts: 1,233
    Yeah, bodybuilding is different from strength training. Even I interchange the terms sometimes

But the two are associated with one another because you also increase strength as you build extra muscle

The "big" guy in the gym just didn't have an idea of what you are doing

There is also power lifting which probably he also doesn't know :)

Not all "big" guys know what they are talking about. They might be ripped and have that awesome size but it doesn't mean everything they are saying is scientifically correct. Who knows ? That guy might be a mesomoprh that is why any type of training works for him
  • sinoako?sinoako? Posts: 21
    oo pre may point ka dyan...

merong nag gygym na weightlifter, MMA , model, bodybuilder , may mga gawkers din haha.. atbp..
    naging common lang kasi sa mga pinoy na pagpapalaki ng katawan ang pagpunta sa gym

may boxing din naman sa ibang gym

parang katulad lang yan sa "motel".... dito sa Pinas, pag sinabi mong nagpunta ka sa motel, ang iisipin agad ng iba ay sex

pero sa America, ang motel ay pahingahan talaga para sa malalayong byahe
  • ronaldronald Posts: 124
    nice one bro,,r u into mma?
  • SkkinSkkin Posts: 870
    Ayos bro. Husay!

@ronald

sagot na ako para kay brader robin if you don't mind.

yes :)
    @ rrobin

sana sinampolan mo ng double leg takedown tapos arm bar :)
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    @rrobin - specifically, what exercise or training program are you doing that moment? im just curious.
  • rrobinrrobin Posts: 131
    @milksworth

Im doing Sport specific strength training kasi designed for MMA, so we have to simulate what we're doing when we compete. So I focused on explosive/short burst movements that engages the fast-twitch muscle fibers. In this training kasi we don't focus on form and having a controlled tempo.

I do powerlifting rin like Snatch,Clean and Jerk, Jump shrug etc.

And when I do the classic bodybuilding workout like Bench press I add Intensity into it and training fast pace that sometimes I look like a madman(but hey, that's how I suppose to look... right? :D)

So that's why i get the "LOOK" like "anong ginagawa nitong g*gong to"...heheh...

wala lang naglalabas lang ng loob.:)

anyway 5th time ko pa lang kasi dun sa gym na yun kaya siguro ganun..At puro BB's ang nagbubuhat..hehe!
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    ^^ ahahah! talagang ganun kasi they are not used whith such form and phasing. ayus lang yan malay mo ikaw magpauso dyan sa gym nyo ng ganyang klaseng workout!

talaga naman nakakainis minsan sa gym pag may mga taong nag mamarunong but in reality they are not really aducated with bodybuilding facts. they rely mainly on broscience. kaya ako i only get involve with someone if im directly asked. mahirap na baka may mas marunong sakin sa tabi tabi.
  • ipisipis Posts: 223
    just my two cents
    meron ding mga nasa gym na body building routines ang ginagawa pero para sa sports ang gusto talaga. lol.
  • rrobinrrobin Posts: 131
    @ipis

I know what you mean and the answer could be.

number 1- They want to add mass so that they can be more efficient on their role in a specific sport.

e.g.- Playing "power forward" in basketball.

number 2- lack of education/knowledge.

either they should hire a "Strength & Conditioning" coach or do a research on their own.

That's what you call a "Sport Specific Training"

Comprende?
  • AldrinAldrin Posts: 799
    ipis wrote:
    just my two cents
    meron ding mga nasa gym na body building routines ang ginagawa pero para sa sports ang gusto talaga. lol.

kaw si ipis sa pinoyexchange..tama ba?
    wag mo na lang pansinin yung iba

ang importante, tama ang form at execution ng exercise

basta effective para sa'yo ang training program mo, tuloy lang
  • ipisipis Posts: 223
    rrobin wrote:
    @ipis

I know what you mean and the answer could be.

number 1- They want to add mass so that they can be more efficient on their role in a specific sport.

e.g.- Playing "power forward" in basketball.

number 2- lack of education/knowledge.

either they should hire a "Strength & Conditioning" coach or do a research on their own.

That's what you call a "Sport Specific Training"

Comprende?

yes my friend. :)
  • rotrot78rotrot78 Posts: 1,147
    hehehe, nag back read lang ako ng mga nasa baul.. sir rrobin kahit ako magugulat eh.. ikaw ba naman mag chest nag napakabilis lahat talaga magtataka.. well kanya kanyang trip talaga yan.. ngayon may mga gym na nag mma na rin so hindi na ignorante mga tao ngayon.. may nakita nga ako kanina pinagyayakap ang heavy bag kulang na lang gahasain.. grappling daw sya.
  • DregPittDregPitt Posts: 987
    tama ka jan brader. depende talaga sa goals ng isang tao kung anung klase at kung papano ang right execution ng mga exercise. depende nalang kung mali talaga, risk for injury ang makukuha mo dun. sa gym kasi madami narrow minded saka nagmamarunong.. dami ko na nakilalang ganyan pero pag tinanong mo naman kung kanino galing ung information na nakuha niya. sa kakilala lang daw niya. haha.
  • rrobin wrote:
    @milksworth

Im doing Sport specific strength training kasi designed for MMA, so we have to simulate what we're doing when we compete. So I focused on explosive/short burst movements that engages the fast-twitch muscle fibers. In this training kasi we don't focus on form and having a controlled tempo.

I do powerlifting rin like Snatch,Clean and Jerk, Jump shrug etc.

And when I do the classic bodybuilding workout like Bench press I add Intensity into it and training fast pace that sometimes I look like a madman(but hey, that's how I suppose to look... right? :D)

So that's why i get the "LOOK" like "anong ginagawa nitong g*gong to"...heheh...

wala lang naglalabas lang ng loob.:)

anyway 5th time ko pa lang kasi dun sa gym na yun kaya siguro ganun..At puro BB's ang nagbubuhat..hehe!