Lifting Belts 101

[align=center]
[size=x-large]Lifting Belts 101[/size]
belts-640x250.jpg
Image Credit: elitefts.com
[/align]

C[size=small]ookies go with milk, pizza goes with beer and lifting belts go with lifters. Wherever you see one, you usually see the other. The majority of gym lifters wear a lifting belt of one kind or another. Like any other piece of lifting gear there are more effective ways of using them for max results. Effective use of a lifting belt use can improve results and safety, but conversely, misuse can have the opposite results. So with that in mind, let’s get into a little Lifting Belts 101.

The oldest and most widely used type of lifting belt is the thin, narrow in front, wide in the back style that are sold at all local sporting goods stores. This type of belt may work for the average gym rat, but not necessarily for a powerlifter. Powerlifters tend to lean forward during their competitive lifts so they require more support in the front of the torso. Deadlifting mega legend, Lamar Grant, realized this years ago and wore a thin in front, wide in back style belt backwards so the support would be in the front of his torso. Belt makers saw a new untapped market and made belts that were the same width all around to meet powerlifters’ unique needs.

Biomechanics 101 speaking, wearing a lifting belt allows the abdominal muscles to push against it during exertion. This aids in stabilizing the spine, the result is enhanced power, stability and support. The increase in intra-abdominal pressure also lessens pressure on the spinal disks, lowering chance of disk injury. As a sort of side benefit, this pushing action also works your abs in the process.

The down side of this is that frequent use of a belt hinders a lifter’s abdominals to work and grow stronger. The better answer is to limit use of a belt to sets of three reps or less. This guideline allows your abs to develop on the lighter, higher rep sets while providing the lifter benefits on these heavy, low rep sets. This can also pay dividends in your life outside the gym. Many retail stores, like home improvement stores, require employees to wear quasi-lifting belts during work to ‘protect’ them while they are lifting and moving merchandise on the job. Some stores have found that numerous employees end up injuring their backs while off work. The reason is simple, wearing the belts at work substitutes for strong abs. When they lift or move objects off the job without belts, they have greater tendency for injury due to underdeveloped ab strength.

I doubt the need to use a belt for the bench press as compared to the deadlift and squat as there is less pressure in the spine. A belt also restricts a lifter’s arching ability which increases the distance a lifter must press the bar to lockout. But if you absolutely, positively must use a belt to bench, use a thin one, not a double or triple thick belt used for squatting. One justifiable use for a belt for the bench is to help keep your bench press shirt on securely. In this case, put the shirt on and loosely cinch the belt around your waist to better hold your shirt in place to prevent slippage.

[align=center]
weight-lifting-belt.jpg
Image Credit: Powershotsmag.com
[/align]

I recommend not wearing a belt while doing assistance work like curls, pulldowns, shoulder and tricep work, etc. There simply is no need for it. Let your abs and other torso muscles support and stabilize your body during these exercises. They will get extra work and build strength that will come in handy.

Another issue is how tight to cinch the belt. The tighter the belt, the more support, but that too can have drawbacks. If cinched too tightly, it could result in breathing problems or elevated heart rate and blood pressure. Also, if worn too high above the waist, it could bruise or crack a rib. With this in mind, use common sense. If you are short of breath or are in pain, the belt is most likely too tight or worn too high. You may need two helpers to get a belt on tight. Have one helper pull on the belt and the other hold the lifter and fasten the buckle. To minimize and negative effects from wearing a tight belt, tighten the belt right before you take your attempt or set. Immediately after the set or attempt, loosen or remove the belt. Common sense is usually the right answer.

There are several types of belts. Most are made of leather, which is the best choice. Belts vary in thickness also. Some are single layered; others are double or even triple layered. Most belts come with buckles but some designs use a lever device to open and close. I suggest trying both to see what works best for you. I can’t emphasize enough to not try any new gear for the first time at a contest. This advice also applies for tightness and belt placement around your waist. Use your competition gear and everything that goes with it in training so you know how it works to prevent any surprises. Bring a backup belt in case your main belt gets lost, stolen or breaks.

Powerlifting rules do not mandate a lifter’s use of a belt, unlike a one-piece singlet or shoes. Generally rules limit the width of the belt to 10 centimeters and the thickness to 13 millimeters and the thickness to 13 millimeters. This eliminates yard-wide-in-the-back belts worn at trendy health spas. Always check the rules of the organization you compete in beforehand to avoid problems with illegal equipment. It could be too late to come up with legal gear on meet day.

I hope this lifting belt 101 article has given you some useful tidbits to think about concerning belts. A lifting belt is a mainstay of a powerlifter’s arsenal both in competition and training. Using it properly can mean higher totals and reduced chance of injury. But it is important to know when and how to use one. Strengthen your abs and torso muscles by not relying on a belt during your higher rep sets and assistance work. Of course, abdominal exercises like crunches still should be part of your training program. Combining the lifting belt with stronger torso muscles can improve your lifting results and safety and those two always go well together.
[/size]
[align=right]
[size=x-small]Credits: http://www.powerliftingusa.com/articles/SEP2010/startinout_SEP10.php [/size]
[/align]

Comments

• luchi_bieluchi_bie Posts: 238
    sirs, san pedeng makabili ng quality lifting belt? I tried sa mga regular sport shops sa mga mall wala sila eh. Thanks in advance.
  • RockcenaRockcena Posts: 603
    ^parang may nakita ako sa moa sa dri fit
  • Emman1986Emman1986 Posts: 1,819
    kung may credit card ka try mo onine. schiek ung brand. for me, matibay sya :)
    Emman1986 wrote:
    kung may credit card ka try mo onine. schiek ung brand. for me, matibay sya :)

Thanks bro. Found few in OLX but will see the reviews, etc.
  • rtravino29rtravino29 Posts: 1,549
    Luchi > sa cnc meron, dun sa gilid ng nike store.di ko lang sure magkano presyo,bili ko nang sakin eh sa cnc din pero sa top floor, lapit sa tindahan ng combat equips. :-)
  • ReneRene Posts: 214
    Thanks for the post Sir Corecheers Great info!!
    rtravino29 wrote:
    Luchi > sa cnc meron, dun sa gilid ng nike store.di ko lang sure magkano presyo,bili ko nang sakin eh sa cnc din pero sa top floor, lapit sa tindahan ng combat equips. :-)

Thanks Bro. Really need it now. Things are getting challenging.
    Thanks Bro. Really need it now. Things are getting challenging.

DL or Squat or Both bro?
    @ravino - Both bro, currently squatting 180ish. DL is 290ish.
    Both bro, currently squatting 180ish. DL is 290ish.

Mirin' the poundage brah! :sport:

careful on using the lifting belt though, may possibility kase na mapeke kang kaya mo yung poundage since may lifting belt ka, as long as you know and confident that you can lift the weight, go for it, andun lang ang lifting belt as support, but not entirely will help you on lifting the poundage. Mahirap na, baka ma snap city tayo, :P
    Thanks Bro, kaya naghahanap ako ng quality belt. Need to lift smart din =).
    Thanks Bro, kaya naghahanap ako ng quality belt. Need to lift smart din =).

+1 for this .
  • raokikunraokikun Posts: 154
    ask ko lang mga sir, hanggang anong safe weight pede mag squat at DL habang wala pang belt. kasi mag sstart pa lang ako mag SL 5x5 sa monday 35-35 + bar

wala pa kasi akong belt. bibili pa lang ako kapag kailangan ko na. maraming salamat
    depende sir, pero for me, as much as possible, kung hindi lalagpas sa bodyweight ko yung binubuhat ko, di ako gagamit nang belt,
    maraming salamat sa info sir @rtravino29 kakatakot din kasi haha pinaka delikado talaga ang deadlift para sakin
  • RayKriegRayKrieg Posts: 577
    Ako brah, ang bw ko ngayon 182lbs pero ang max dl ko na walang belt is 270lbs x 1 rep. Ayoko na muna mag increase ng weight habang wala pa yung belt ko. Depende naman sayo bro @raokikun kung kelan mo gusto magbelt :)
    Check your form always raokikun un ang mas importante kesa sa belt. Ako kase nagsimula akong mag-belt nung nasa 200lbs na ung squat/DL ko. Btw my BW is 160lbs.
    @RayKrieg, @luchi_bie salamat ulit mga sir, nag researched ako nung nagkaron ako time.

sa mga nabasa ko karamihan na sinasabi nila is

advantage:

pampalakas mag deadlift. "to add more weights"

then

disadvantage:

nakakasira ng form parang hindi mo daw ma rereach masyado ung pagka bend. something like that.

at sabi nung iba 600lbs DL still no belt. 1Rep Max lang.

siguru nga mga sir depende rin sa lifter kung san siya mas komportable mahalaga pa rin is proper form.

salamat mga ka PBB gandang araw sa inyo
  • dskinnydudedskinnydude Posts: 176
    @raokikun my take on lifting belt;

Not really to help you lift more weights but gives you a stronger core when performing valsalva maneuver, hence getting you into a safer zone. Problem is, I see people wearing lifting belt but doesn't know how to properly use it, getting them closer to snap city.

cheers
    people wearing lifting belt but doesn't know how to properly use it, getting them closer to snap city.
    +1, yung tipong sobrang higpit nang belt na naka " donald duck" na yung butt. kaya pag nag deadlift / squat.. boom! :duh:
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    belt user ako since nag heavy na ko from 300lbs sa DL at 250 sa squat.. mahigpit din ako magbelt pero dapat nakababa lang sa tyan para umbok pa rin bituka ko hehe
  • JiggamanJiggaman Posts: 156
    I have a history of slipped disc and the other day, sumakit uli ang likod ko. Should I wear a belt pagbalik ko sa gym? Mga one month na pahinga siguro ako.

Hindi naman ako nagbubuhat ng masyado mabibigat. Ang squat ko eh around 85 lbs lang dahil sa history ko tapos deadlift around the same lang din.

Actually hindi sa pagbubuhat sumakit uli yung likod ko. Nagkamali lang ako ng tayo from a sitting position kaya sumakit.

Will a lifting belt help, or ingat na lang ako sa susunod to maintain proper form in everything I do?
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    Jiggaman wrote:
    I have a history of slipped disc and the other day, sumakit uli ang likod ko. Should I wear a belt pagbalik ko sa gym? Mga one month na pahinga siguro ako.

Hindi naman ako nagbubuhat ng masyado mabibigat. Ang squat ko eh around 85 lbs lang dahil sa history ko tapos deadlift around the same lang din.

Actually hindi sa pagbubuhat sumakit uli yung likod ko. Nagkamali lang ako ng tayo from a sitting position kaya sumakit.

Will a lifting belt help, or ingat na lang ako sa susunod to maintain proper form in everything I do?

Magbelt ka na lang lagi wala naman masama e. pero sanayin mo din iflex ng matindi yung abdominals mo tapos ihold mo ng matagal. sa squats and DL pag mas tight yung midsection mas ok for the lower back. Magdrop ka din ng weight bro kung nabibigatan ka sa sarili mo kasi sa squats hindi lang weight ang binubuhat mo kasam din BW. so kung 200lbs+ ka kahit 100lbs lang squat mo parang 300lbs din binubuhat mo diba.

Try sprinting or hill sprints, its a good leg WO and cardio at the same time. It also helps you get more explosive on squats plus it will boost your metabolism. Good for fatloss :)
    Jiggaman wrote:

Magbelt ka na lang lagi wala naman masama e. pero sanayin mo din iflex ng matindi yung abdominals mo tapos ihold mo ng matagal. sa squats and DL pag mas tight yung midsection mas ok for the lower back. Magdrop ka din ng weight bro kung nabibigatan ka sa sarili mo kasi sa squats hindi lang weight ang binubuhat mo kasam din BW. so kung 200lbs+ ka kahit 100lbs lang squat mo parang 300lbs din binubuhat mo diba.

Try sprinting or hill sprints, its a good leg WO and cardio at the same time. It also helps you get more explosive on squats plus it will boost your metabolism. Good for fatloss :)

I'm actually down to 175 lbs pero being 310 lbs before, may possibility na ngayon lang talaga nag-effect yung bugbog na inaabot ng lower back ko dahil sa weight ko noon.

Yup I'm starting to run na din. Hassle nga eh may 5k run ako sa Sept. 14 mukhang hindi muna at pahinga muna.

Sige bibili ako lifting belt that I'll use pagbalik ko ng gym. Saan ba maganda bumili? Meron ba sa CnC?
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    sa squats hindi lang weight ang binubuhat mo kasam din BW. so kung 200lbs+ ka kahit 100lbs lang squat mo parang 300lbs din binubuhat mo diba.

Precisely 75% of BW adds up to the total weight on the entire squat.
    I'll avoid squats, deadlifts, standing military press at bent over barbell row. Do I still need to wear a belt considering my back injury?
  • Mighty_OakMighty_Oak Posts: 3,940
    If you're using a belt but don't know where to place it and you don't employ AIP and most importantly the weight isn't that heavy then it's useless and GAY.

I've gone close to a 500lb deadlift but did not use a belt nor had any back injuries.
  • CodexCodex Posts: 16
    Out topic conversation [size=x-small](posts #29-45)[/size] about incorporation of lumbar binder on resistance training, under Workout? Thread [size=x-small](by mike_jyzz)[/size]
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    'Been to SM Baguio City last Thursday [size=x-small](January 22, 2015)[/size] and Saturday [size=x-small](January 24, 2015)[/size]. Bull's velcro lifting belts available at Chris Sports; L sizes in yellow, red, and black. Core Fitness leather belt and powerlifting belts available at Toby's Sports; in S and XL sizes respectively. XL sizes in black.
  • jbadd17jbadd17 Posts: 29
    I got the Valeo belt from an online seller sa sulit dot com. Its a single prong belt that is tapered sa front. I hated it because of the discomfort i get from it. Very flimsy and naiipit mga bilbil ko in between haha! I always wanted the Inzer Lever Belts they use in powerlifting in the US and couldnt find any here in the Philippines. But i found the next best thing the Titan Toro LEVER belt from the strongest man in the Philippines Mr. Eddie Torres. He was selling only one small size and i checked online and the last hole would fit me so i ordered it from him thru the phone. He was so kind and accomodating. Got my belt and i think its the best investment i had. Its really as good as the Inzer even the lever itself is of the same supplier daw, well that's what i read. So its not tapered, its 10mm thick and gives you a stable and even pressure both front and back because its not tapered nga. I know a lot of you guys say belting up is not good because it limits core activation but hey, at my age and the stubborn back pain i had before, im not gonna risk it. If any of you can find an inzer or any brand of lever belt i swear its worlds better than any shiek, valeo, harbinger brand that is not lever. Btw, im constantly doing my DL 315x5x5 and im in my 30's so inb4 weak comments. Oo na mas halimaw na kayo. Hehe. Safety first guys.