Pushrod

Lack of consistency - one way to describe my "road to fitness". Started lifting at 16 pero mostly due to the fear of getting bullied in school. Ended up being a weekend thing after realizing school ain't that bad if you know how to deal with people. Then started getting excuses...vices and all that s**t when you're young. Got back into lifting last 2012 after being rushed to the hospital 5 times in one month. Diagnosed pre hypertension. Ended up stopping again because I lost my drive(2 30 lb DBs just won't cut it if I wanted to progress). After moving to our new house, that's when I started investing in more equipments. That's when the progress started. I ran a modified version of the SL 5x5 combined with Reg Parks 5x5. Progress was good...started with unloaded bar with 5 lb increments. before you knew it, I ran out of plates again. Now here I go again, with 350 lb of plates total...now I'm pretty sure this'll last me a while.

Comments

• kopikopi Posts: 690
    Welcome sir !
  • pushrodpushrod Posts: 41
    Thanks Kopi. By the way, you guys think na cheating ang push press compared to just overhead press? Lesser ba ang size gains since mas madali sya dahil sa momentum?
    for me sir mahalaga kc ung negatives as they say..parang delikado kc yan lalo na pag mabigat dpende n lng kung tlagang pro weight lifter ka kc dun ko lng nkikita ung gnyang style..overhead presses kc gets the force solely sa delts mo so more focused sia kesa ull have the momentum by lets say stomping--just my opinion.. :^^
  • LEUCINELEUCINE Posts: 264
    WELCOME KUYA WELCOME
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    pushrod wrote:
    Thanks Kopi. By the way, you guys think na cheating ang push press compared to just overhead press? Lesser ba ang size gains since mas madali sya dahil sa momentum?

May leg drive po kasi sir kapag push press.
    Welcome to PBB, sir!
    Thanks Core. So advice nyo ba wag ko i push press and keep ko na as overhead press? Kasi kung ganun, talagang ibababa ko yung load kasi di talaga kaya. Ano tingin nyo?
    Ok lng magdeload sir..eventually kc tataas ung lifts mo talaga :)
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    pushrod wrote:
    So advice nyo ba wag ko i push press and keep ko na as overhead press? Kasi kung ganun, talagang ibababa ko yung load kasi di talaga kaya. Ano tingin nyo?

kopi said.
    Damn, it's been a while. After a bad hand injury, I think it's finally time to get back under the bar. Have purchased a new flat bench and now have 350 lbs of plates. I guess I'll be busy for a while. Too bad all my equipment isn't Olympic grade. Well, might as well make the most of what I have right?
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    ok lang bro kahit hindi olympic yan, 350lbs is still 350lbs :)
  • LazarLazar Posts: 565
    Wow ..congrats bro! 350lbs! maraming marami ka ng magagawa jan at magiging busy ka talaga dyan!
    ok lang bro kahit hindi olympic yan, 350lbs is still 350lbs :)

Oo nga no...
    Lazar wrote:
    Wow ..congrats bro! 350lbs! maraming marami ka ng magagawa jan at magiging busy ka talaga dyan!

Yeah...matatagalan pa bago ko to makayanan. Umpisahan na habang August pa lang...
    Had a talk with madam general(aka the missus) and she wants the my flat bench out of the condo. Says it was an eye sore. Since the secret to a happy life is a happy wife...will end up selling it. I'm planning to have an adjustable squat stand fabricated so I guess a lateral bench would be a good match for it na lang.
    Question pala guys. If you're running a 5x5 program and doing some assistance work with it...will it make a big difference if you finished all the compound lifts first then do the assistance work? Or do I need to stick to the compound then assistance then next compound lift then next assistance and so on. Thanks in advance.
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    pushrod wrote:
    Question pala guys. If you're running a 5x5 program and doing some assistance work with it...will it make a big difference if you finished all the compound lifts first then do the assistance work? Or do I need to stick to the compound then assistance then next compound lift then next assistance and so on. Thanks in advance.

ALWAYS do the assistance work last. If you do it first, you can fatigue the muscles so that you won't have maximum strength for the big lifts.

Just to add, this concept not only applies to 5 x 5, but most routines in which the goal is to build max muscle & strength. An exception would be pre-exhaust, which is a different topic. The heaviest, Mac Daddy lifts should always be done in the beginning. I can't count the times that I see people working out ignorantly, ie, working biceps before back, triceps before delts, etc. Or, doing isolation exercises before the compounds for a bodypart, ie, db flyes before bench press, cable flyes before db press, etc.

I also see alot of guys doing dips for warmups on chest day. Imagine, you see a guy who lists his worksets of dips as doing 12 reps bdwt - but you also see he's doing that for his warmup - duh! Doing this is fatiguing the pecs/delts/tris so that maximum weight can't be used for the pressing movements. Warmups are intended for just that - warmup - not working hard. Doing dips for warmup are ok if a guy doing 12 reps for warmup can actually bang out 20+ reps on a workset. Doesn't matter if it's a bdwt-only exercise or not, if you push yourself hard on it, it taxes the muscle - period.
    Big Dawg wrote:
    pushrod wrote:

ALWAYS do the assistance work last. If you do it first, you can fatigue the muscles so that you won't have maximum strength for the big lifts.

Just to add, this concept not only applies to 5 x 5, but most routines in which the goal is to build max muscle & strength. An exception would be pre-exhaust, which is a different topic. The heaviest, Mac Daddy lifts should always be done in the beginning. I can't count the times that I see people working out ignorantly, ie, working biceps before back, triceps before delts, etc. Or, doing isolation exercises before the compounds for a bodypart, ie, db flyes before bench press, cable flyes before db press, etc.

I also see alot of guys doing dips for warmups on chest day. Imagine, you see a guy who lists his worksets of dips as doing 12 reps bdwt - but you also see he's doing that for his warmup - duh! Doing this is fatiguing the pecs/delts/tris so that maximum weight can't be used for the pressing movements. Warmups are intended for just that - warmup - not working hard. Doing dips for warmup are ok if a guy doing 12 reps for warmup can actually bang out 20+ reps on a workset. Doesn't matter if it's a bdwt-only exercise or not, if you push yourself hard on it, it taxes the muscle - period.

Thanks Big Dawg. But how about doing all the compound lifts first in a workout then do assistance afterwards? Will that be detrimental? I mean for example I do squats, bench and rows and only then do I follow up with assistance works. Because right now I do 1 compound lift then immediately follow with all assistance work for a particular muscle and then proceed with the next compound etc. Damn, my english is real bad...
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    OK sorry I didn't understand exactly what you meant in your earlier post. Probably best for someone with successful experience with the 5 x 5 program to answer you.
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    If you are doing the exact SL 5 x 5 for beginners, lagi mong tatandaan ang pattern ng A and B which consist of : A squat, bp, b.o.r. B Squat ohp DL. you can always add assitance on A Dips, B pullups after those main lifts and always remember that you have to master your bodyweight first on dips and pullups after hitting 15-20+ reps on it then slowly add poundeges dun.

you can always add other variations of assistance lifts ,however, as ive mentioned to you on the other thread babawasan mo na assistance mo dahil the next workout day possible na di ka pa makarecover dahil sa another squats and compound lifts especially when you are hitting 1.5-2x bw sa squats, 1-1.5 x bw sa benchpress and 2.5-3+ x bw sa DL.