For those looking to diet or cut look here.

2»

Comments

• HrithikHrithik Posts: 136

@Szekan said:
    willheart wrote: »
    Yes good advice. But for me tdee doesn't work. My tdee is around 2700. But when I start eating 2200 calories, I start to gain body fat again.
    In my pics above I am 1800 calories for 3 months on an average.

What I know about calculated TDEE is that it is not entirely accurate but is a good value to start. If your weight does not go down (when cutting) or go up (when bulking) using the calculated TDEE minus/plus deficit calories/excess calories, you need to adjust a bit and monitor again.

• SzekanSzekan Posts: 57
    Hrithik wrote: »
    @Szekan said:
    Yes good advice. But for me tdee doesn't work. My tdee is around 2700. But when I start eating 2200 calories, I start to gain body fat again.

What I know about calculated TDEE is that it is not entirely accurate but is a good value to start. If your weight does not go down (when cutting) or go up (when bulking) using the calculated TDEE minus/plus deficit calories/excess calories, you need to adjust a bit and monitor again.

Yup that's why 1800 works for me altho my tdee is 2700. Huge huge gap.

woah that is huge gap. usually for me, the adjustment is just 100-200 calories above or below.

@Szekan said:
    Hrithik wrote: »

@Szekan said:

Yup that's why 1800 works for me altho my tdee is 2700. Huge huge gap.

• @Szekan said:
    Hi all,
    I am a new member here. I see a lot of people in the local gym trying to cardio or hiit to lose weight. What they don't realise is that gym is only 20% of the effort, the 60% is all in what they eat. Therefore you have to clean your diet if you really want to lose weight.

1) Diet is just to lose as much weight as possible. You just want to go from a large t-shirt to a small size and really don't care about frame, muscle or aesthetics

2) cutting is you try to lose as much fat as possible while saving the most muscle mass as possible.

If you guys have any questions please ask, I will try to hell as much as I can.
    Let's get this thread going :)

Hi Sir Szekan,

Good day!

I would like to ask your advice and opinion, Ive been lifting weights for 1 year but not consistent.

My goal is to cut fat and build muscle. Now I make sure to be consistent .My workout is at least 3-5 times per week.

I’m 37 yo,5’4” , 136lbs(62kg), assuming 25% body fat.

For you reference Im using these applications/ calculators. TDEE and MyFitnessPal.

1.TDEE calculator.
    The results are if im cutting, 40/40/20, 115g protein, 51g fats,57g carbs.
    The cutting calories is 1,149 calories per day, which is a 500 calorie per day deficit from your maintenance of 1,649 calories per day.
    Carbs 57g
    Fat 51g
    Protein 115 g

2.Currently I’m following my fitness pal recommendation. The calculated my calories at 1427 calories
    Carbs 71g
    Fat 63g
    Protein 143g

I would like to follow your suggestion. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
    1g per body weight =136g of protein,
    .4g per body weight= 54.4g fat

My goal is to reach 60kg, honestly I’m not sure if that weight is fine or suitable to maintain when I have lowered my body fat.
    My questions are:

i.Should I adjust my weight goal to cut and then bulk?

ii.In your opinion how should I adjust my macros and required calories with my current status?

Thank you in advance,
    Nol

My progress from 1 year from 67kg to 62kg (still a lot of work to do to build muscle).

greyfox wrote: »
    @Szekan said:
    Hi all,
    I am a new member here. I see a lot of people in the local gym trying to cardio or hiit to lose weight. What they don't realise is that gym is only 20% of the effort, the 60% is all in what they eat. Therefore you have to clean your diet if you really want to lose weight.

1) Diet is just to lose as much weight as possible. You just want to go from a large t-shirt to a small size and really don't care about frame, muscle or aesthetics

2) cutting is you try to lose as much fat as possible while saving the most muscle mass as possible.

Hi Sir Szekan,

Good day!

I would like to ask your advice and opinion, Ive been lifting weights for 1 year but not consistent.

My goal is to cut fat and build muscle. Now I make sure to be consistent .My workout is at least 3-5 times per week.

For you reference Im using these applications/ calculators. TDEE and MyFitnessPal.

1.TDEE calculator.
    The cutting calories is 1,149 calories per day, which is a 500 calorie per day deficit from your maintenance of 1,649 calories per day.
    Carbs 57g
    Fat 51g
    Protein 115 g

2.Currently I’m following my fitness pal recommendation. The calculated my calories at 1427 calories
    Carbs 71g
    Fat 63g
    Protein 143g

My goal is to reach 60kg, honestly I’m not sure if that weight is fine or suitable to maintain when I have lowered my body fat.
    My questions are:

ii.In your opinion how should I adjust my macros and required calories with my current status?

Thank you in advance,
    Nol

My progress from 1 year from 67kg to 62kg (still a lot of work to do to build muscle).

I shall answer your queries in points.
    1) You caNnot cut fat and build muscle at the same time. But you can minimize the muscle loss.

2) I don't think 1149 is the right figures. Def. Something wrong. Either way, I would start by 1500 calories and see how it effects the body.
    I had been on 1200 calories cut but trust me you can't go more than 1 month on that sort of diet plan.

3) your plan on fitness pal looks fine. Just lower your fat intake to about 50g and up your carbs by 100g. And by carbs I mean good carbs which don't spike your blood sugar level.

4) you have got the diet correctly but now you need proper training.
    Lift heavy and with proper form.
    Everyday cardio is a must. Treadmill for 30 mins everyday with speed of 6kms.

5) dedicate one whole day for legs including squats, deadlifts, cardio (50 mins). Because legs are big muscles and when you train them, the body secretes out more testestrones Or something like that...

• @Szekan said:

@Szekan said:
    Hi all,

Hi Sir Szekan,

Good day!

1.TDEE calculator.
    Carbs 57g
    Fat 51g
    Protein 115 g

Carbs 71g
    Fat 63g
    Protein 143g

My questions are:

Thank you in advance,
    Nol

1) You caNnot cut fat and build muscle at the same time. But you can minimize the muscle loss.

2) I don't think 1149 is the right figures. Def. Something wrong. Either way, I would start by 1500 calories and see how it effects the body.
    I had been on 1200 calories cut but trust me you can't go more than 1 month on that sort of diet plan.

3) your plan on fitness pal looks fine. Just lower your fat intake to about 50g and up your carbs by 100g. And by carbs I mean good carbs which don't spike your blood sugar level.

5) dedicate one whole day for legs including squats, deadlifts, cardio (50 mins). Because legs are big muscles and when you train them, the body secretes out more testestrones Or something like that...

All of sir Szekan was correct,

Dagdag ko na lang sir maganda na ang progress mo nag daanan tayo lahat sa ganyan ganyan din ako nag start you will always repeat the process bulk cut, bulk cut, the wrong thing i did was umaasa ako masyado sa cardio na di pala dapat dahil nag habol ako ng 1year para mag karoon ng muscle mass. wag din magiging matigas ang ulo natin pag may nag sabi ui bagsak na katawan mo ui na taba ka pansinin natin yung mga ganung points dahil di agad natin mapapansin sarili natin. other thing once you hit the plateau its a wall na kahit anong gawin mong exercise and diet di na baba fat levels mo and di ka nag grow on my exp. i rest for 2-3weeks lalo na pag nag cucut ako and i eat some pizza burgers fries but in moderation then i start to bulk again dun ko na pansin nung medyo sikip na damit ko. good luck po

• @Szekan said:

@Szekan said:
    Hi all,

Hi Sir Szekan,

Good day!

1.TDEE calculator.
    Carbs 57g
    Fat 51g
    Protein 115 g

Carbs 71g
    Fat 63g
    Protein 143g

My questions are:

Thank you in advance,
    Nol

thank you so much sir Szekan! I will take note and follow your advice. I have an additional question. During training day do I need to adjust my macros?

• @primouno01 said:

@Szekan said:

@Szekan said:
    Hi all,

Hi Sir Szekan,

Good day!

1.TDEE calculator.
    Carbs 57g
    Fat 51g
    Protein 115 g

Carbs 71g
    Fat 63g
    Protein 143g

My questions are:

Thank you in advance,
    Nol

All of sir Szekan was correct,

Dagdag ko na lang sir maganda na ang progress mo nag daanan tayo lahat sa ganyan ganyan din ako nag start you will always repeat the process bulk cut, bulk cut, the wrong thing i did was umaasa ako masyado sa cardio na di pala dapat dahil nag habol ako ng 1year para mag karoon ng muscle mass. wag din magiging matigas ang ulo natin pag may nag sabi ui bagsak na katawan mo ui na taba ka pansinin natin yung mga ganung points dahil di agad natin mapapansin sarili natin. other thing once you hit the plateau its a wall na kahit anong gawin mong exercise and diet di na baba fat levels mo and di ka nag grow on my exp. i rest for 2-3weeks lalo na pag nag cucut ako and i eat some pizza burgers fries but in moderation then i start to bulk again dun ko na pansin nung medyo sikip na damit ko. good luck po

Thank you so much sir primouno01, Honestly sir I hit plateau at 62kg since December. Its a good thing you mentioned that. During the 1 year halos puro experiment ginagawa ko. Good thing I found this Forum.

> @greyfox said:
    > > @Szekan said:
    > > greyfox wrote: »
    > >
    > > @Szekan said:
    > > Hi all,
    > > I am a new member here. I see a lot of people in the local gym trying to cardio or hiit to lose weight. What they don't realise is that gym is only 20% of the effort, the 60% is all in what they eat. Therefore you have to clean your diet if you really want to lose weight.
    > >
    > > 1) Diet is just to lose as much weight as possible. You just want to go from a large t-shirt to a small size and really don't care about frame, muscle or aesthetics
    > >
    > > 2) cutting is you try to lose as much fat as possible while saving the most muscle mass as possible.
    > >
    > > If you guys have any questions please ask, I will try to hell as much as I can.
    > > Let's get this thread going :)
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hi Sir Szekan,
    > >
    > > Good day!
    > >
    > > I would like to ask your advice and opinion, Ive been lifting weights for 1 year but not consistent.
    > >
    > > My goal is to cut fat and build muscle. Now I make sure to be consistent .My workout is at least 3-5 times per week.
    > >
    > > I’m 37 yo,5’4” , 136lbs(62kg), assuming 25% body fat.
    > >
    > > For you reference Im using these applications/ calculators. TDEE and MyFitnessPal.
    > >
    > > 1.TDEE calculator.
    > > The results are if im cutting, 40/40/20, 115g protein, 51g fats,57g carbs.
    > > The cutting calories is 1,149 calories per day, which is a 500 calorie per day deficit from your maintenance of 1,649 calories per day.
    > > Carbs 57g
    > > Fat 51g
    > > Protein 115 g
    > >
    > > 2.Currently I’m following my fitness pal recommendation. The calculated my calories at 1427 calories
    > > Carbs 71g
    > > Fat 63g
    > > Protein 143g
    > >
    > > I would like to follow your suggestion. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
    > > 1g per body weight =136g of protein,
    > > .4g per body weight= 54.4g fat
    > >
    > > My goal is to reach 60kg, honestly I’m not sure if that weight is fine or suitable to maintain when I have lowered my body fat.
    > > My questions are:
    > >
    > > i.Should I adjust my weight goal to cut and then bulk?
    > >
    > > ii.In your opinion how should I adjust my macros and required calories with my current status?
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance,
    > > Nol
    > >
    > > My progress from 1 year from 67kg to 62kg (still a lot of work to do to build muscle).
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I shall answer your queries in points.
    > > 1) You caNnot cut fat and build muscle at the same time. But you can minimize the muscle loss.
    > >
    > > 2) I don't think 1149 is the right figures. Def. Something wrong. Either way, I would start by 1500 calories and see how it effects the body.
    > > I had been on 1200 calories cut but trust me you can't go more than 1 month on that sort of diet plan.
    > >
    > > 3) your plan on fitness pal looks fine. Just lower your fat intake to about 50g and up your carbs by 100g. And by carbs I mean good carbs which don't spike your blood sugar level.
    > >
    > > 4) you have got the diet correctly but now you need proper training.
    > > Lift heavy and with proper form.
    > > Everyday cardio is a must. Treadmill for 30 mins everyday with speed of 6kms.
    > >
    > > 5) dedicate one whole day for legs including squats, deadlifts, cardio (50 mins). Because legs are big muscles and when you train them, the body secretes out more testestrones Or something like that...
    >
    > thank you so much sir Szekan! I will take note and follow your advice. I have an additional question. During training day do I need to adjust my macros?

1) keep your macros consistent throughout. However if you feel dizzy or black out or weak, then I suggest you take most of the carbs 40mins before going to the gym. That will help you body with energy.

2) once a week or in 10 days eat some junk food to treat your body. But make sure you don't go above your tdee calories. Again target the macros not the source.

3) biggest mistake I have seen young boys do.
    They have a heavy workout session and then go to treadmill and jog like crazy.
    Your body already went into anaerobic exercise. Why are you going for anaerobic state again? You target strength by lifting weights but you target endurance by light walking or cardio.
    Anaerobic burns carbs for instant energy
    Aerobic burns fats, carbs and oxygen for energy.
    You need both.

This is true. If you are on calorie deficit already, you don't actually need cardio since the adjusted TDEE already covered the deficit that you need. But I guess if it's not wise to lower the adjusted TDEE any longer that's when you do cardio at this point but do it very sparingly as cardio adds to muscle wasting during cut.

at

@Szekan said:

@greyfox said:

@Szekan said:

>

@Szekan said:
    Hi all,

>

>

>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi Sir Szekan,

>

Good day!

>

>

>

>

>

1.TDEE calculator.
    Carbs 57g
    Fat 51g
    Protein 115 g

>

Carbs 71g
    Fat 63g
    Protein 143g

>

>

My questions are:

>

>

>

Thank you in advance,
    Nol

>

>
    >
    >
    >

>

>

>

>

>

thank you so much sir Szekan! I will take note and follow your advice. I have an additional question. During training day do I need to adjust my macros?

1) keep your macros consistent throughout. However if you feel dizzy or black out or weak, then I suggest you take most of the carbs 40mins before going to the gym. That will help you body with energy.

2) once a week or in 10 days eat some junk food to treat your body. But make sure you don't go above your tdee calories. Again target the macros not the source.

Your body already went into anaerobic exercise. Why are you going for anaerobic state again? You target strength by lifting weights but you target endurance by light walking or cardio.
    You need both.

• @Szekan said:

@greyfox said:

@Szekan said:

>

@Szekan said:
    Hi all,

>

>

>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi Sir Szekan,

>

Good day!

>

>

>

>

>

1.TDEE calculator.
    Carbs 57g
    Fat 51g
    Protein 115 g

>

Carbs 71g
    Fat 63g
    Protein 143g

>

>

My questions are:

>

>

>

Thank you in advance,
    Nol

>

>
    >
    >
    >

>

>

>

>

>

You need both.

Thank you Sir Szekan for giving me a very clear explanation. I really appreciate it!

@Szekan said:

@greyfox said:

@Szekan said:

>

@Szekan said:
    Hi all,

>

>

>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi Sir Szekan,

>

Good day!

>

>

>

>

>

1.TDEE calculator.
    Carbs 57g
    Fat 51g
    Protein 115 g

>

Carbs 71g
    Fat 63g
    Protein 143g

>

>

My questions are:

>

>

>

Thank you in advance,
    Nol

>

>
    >
    >
    >

>

>

>

>

>

You need both.

Thank you Sir Szekan for giving me a very clear explanation. I really appreciate it!

Glad to help. And above all your form. There are many animals who push and pull lots of weight like cows, donkeys etc. But that doesn't mean they are the strongest.
    Form over weights any day